Associate Professor Armstrong Osborne
DipEd(Sydney), MSc(Sydney), PhD(Sydney)
Associate Professor, Science Education
Program Director, BEd Primary
Phone: +61 2 9351 6266
Fax: +61 2 9351 2606
Research on teaching and learning
- Mathematics and science
Faculty of Education and Social Work Teaching Excellence Award 2008
Professional and community roles
Wellington Caves Advisory Committee
Member of Editorial Board Virtual Journal of Karst Hydrogeology and Speleogenesis
Member of Advisory Board Acta Carsologica
Visiting Fellow, Karst Research Institute SAZU, Postojna
Research Associate, Australian Museum Sydney
- Cave Science Sri Lanka: Collaborative Project with Dr Wasantha Weliange, Postgraduate Institute for Archaeological Research, Colombo. There are many caves in high-grade metamorphic rocks in Sri Lanka. Many contain Palaeolithic Archaeological sites and temples. Almost nothing is known of the science of these caves. This project aims to develop training in cave science for Sri Lankan archaeologists and a scientific understanding of the caves
- Origin and Evolution of Eastern Australian Caves Long-term project investigating how caves formed in eastern Australia and their geological history
- HYPOCAVE—Hypogene Caves Morphology - Europe/Australia Comparison, EU Marie Curie/AAS-funded staff exchange with the University of Silesia, Poland & the Karst Research Institute, Postojna, Slovenia
- Palaeozoic palaeokarst and relict cave sediments from Cathedral Cave, Wellington Caves, NSW, Australia: Implications for regional geology and geomorphic history. This project investigates the implications arising from the discovery of very ancient sediments in Cathedral Cave at Wellington Caves, NSW. This is a collaborative project with Horst Zwingmann, CSIRO Petroleum & Curtin University, Perth; Andrew Herries, Latrobe University; David Colchester and Ross Pogson, Australian Museum Sydney. The project is supported by contract research funding from Wellington Council and a grant from the Betty Mayne Fund of the Linnean Society of New South Wales.
- Osborne R.A.L. . (2013). Preservation and Burial of Ancient Karst. In John F. Shroder (Ed.), Treatise on Geomorphology (Vol. 6, pp. 95–103), San Diego: Academic Press..
- Weliange, W.S. & Osborne, R.A.L. (2012). Some biological aspects of conservation and management of Sri Lankan caves. In R. Somadeva (Ed.), Rock Painting and Engraving Sites in Sri Lanka (pp. 208–229), Colombo: Postgraduate Institute of Archaeology.
- Osborne, R.A.L. (2010). Rethinking eastern Australian caves. In P. Bishop & B. Pillans (Ed.), Australian Landscapes. Geological Society of London Special Publication 346 (1st ed., Vol. 346, pp. 289–308), Bath: Geological Society of London.
- Cilek,, V, Williams, R, Osborne, R, Migon, P, Mikulas, R. (2007). The origin and development of sandstone landforms. In Handrij Hartel;Vaclav Cilek;Tomas Herben;Andrew Jackson;Rendel Williams (Ed.), Sandstone Landscapes (pp. 34–43), Prague: Academia.
- Pogson, R. E., Osborne, R.A.L., Colchester, D. & Cendón, D. I. . (2011). Sulfate and Phosphate-Sulfate Speleothems at Jenolan Caves, New South Wales, Australia. Acta carsologica, 40(2), 239–254.
- Osborne, R. (2008). Cave turbidites. Acta Carsologica, 37(1), 41–50.
- Osborne, R. (2008). Detailed morphologicial studies in Netopirjev rov, Predjama Cave: A hypogene segment of a Slovenian cave. Acta Carsologica, 37(2-3), 255–272.
- Osborne, R. (2007). The world's oldest caves: -How did they survive and what can they tell us?. Acta Carsologica, 36(1), 133–142.
- Osborne, R. (2007). Intensely lithified palaeokarst deposits in Okno Cave, Demänovská Valley (Slovakia). Geologica Carpathica: international geological journal , 58(6), 565–578.
- Osborne, R. (2007). Cathedral Cave, Wellington Caves, New South Wales, Australia. A multiphase, non-fluvial cave. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 32(14), 2075–2103.
- Osborne, R, Zwingmann, H, Pogson, R, Colchester, D. (2006). Carboniferous clay deposits from Jenolan Caves, New South Wales: implications for timing of speleogenesis and regional geology. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences, 53(3), 377–405.
- Osborne, R. (2005). Dating ancient caves and related palaeokarsts. Acta Carsologica, 34(1), 51–72.
- Osborne, R.A.L. (2009). Hypogene caves in deformed (fold belt) strata: observations from eastern Australia and central Europe. In A.B. Klimchouk & D.C. Ford Hypogene Speleogenesis and Karst Hydrogeology of Artesian Basins, Ukrainian Institute of Speleology and Karstology, Special Paper 1 (pp. 33–43). Chernivtsi, Ukraine, 13-17 May 2009.
- Osborne, R.A.L. (2009). Early Carboniferous unlithified cave sediments: Their implications. In 15th International Congress of Speleology (2pp. 939–945). Kerrville, Texas, United States of America, July 19–26, 2009.