Education & Multimedia Design Coordinator, CoCo Research Centre
Phone: +61 2 9351 5139
Fax: +61 2 9036 5205
Learning sciences; psychology of education
- Learning technologies and new media
interface design for learning (IDL), design for the learning experience, user experience, educational multimedia, positive computing, design for wellbeing
Dorian works as a user experience designer, interface and interaction designer for a range of faculties throughout the univeristy. She also advises on and coordinates projects relating to digital learning for staff at the Sydney School of Education and Social Work and as part of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences ELearning Team.
She coordinated the launch of the Master of Learnign Science and Technology degree during her time working at the CoCo Research Centre (the Centre for Research on Computer Supported Learning & Cognition) and the University's Sciences and Technologies of Learning Network.
She is also creative leader for the Positive Computing Lab, at the Faculty of Engineering and IT and User Experience Specialist for the Brain and Mind Center work in the area of design for wellbeing.
Dorian is author of two books and has designed for Carnegie Mellon, Cambridge University, ABC, Channel 10 and BMG music and publishes articles on design in journals, conferences and trade magazines.
Dorian moved to Sydney from her hometown, Los Angeles, in 2001. She received a Masters in Multimedia Design from the University of Sydney and a Bachelor's in Writing and Film Directing from Carnegie Mellon University.
- Interface Design for Learning: Design Strategies for Learning Experiences - New riders (Voices that Matter series)
- Positive Computing: Technology for Wellbeing and Human Potential (co-authored with Rafael Calvo) - MIT Press (Forthcoming Oct 2014).
- Find out more about design for wellbeing at PositiveComputing.org.
- Find out more about design for learning at:InterfaceDesignforLearning.com
In 2009 Dorian lead an interface design upgrade of "SUMO". As part of the SUMO team she won a Vice-Chancellor's award for "Systems that acheive collective excellence".
As an instructional designer for Savv-e, pty ltd, Dorian lead the design of a program for Westpac which won the 2004 AITD award for Excellence in Learning Design.
- Dorian Peters. (2014). Interface Design for Learning: Design Strategies for Learning Experiences. San Francisco: New Riders.
- Calvo, R. A. & Peters, D. . (2014). Positive Computing: Technology for Wellbeing and Human Potential. Cambridge: The MIT Press.
- Peters D, Davis S, Calvo RA, Sawyer SM, Smith L, Foster JM. (2017). Young People's Preferences for an Asthma Self-Management App Highlight Psychological Needs: A Participatory Study.. Journal of Medical Internet Research (JMIR).
- Choi I, Milne, D, Glozier N, Peters D, Harvey S, Calvo RA. (2017). Using different Facebook advertisements to recruit men for an online mental health study: engagement and selection bias. Internet Interventions.
- Calvo R, Peters D, d'Mello S. (2015). When technologies manipulate our emotions . Communications of the ACM .
- Peters D, Calvo R. (2014). Compassion vs. empathy: designing for resilience. Interactions of the ACM.
- Calvo, R. A and Peters, D. (2013). Promoting psychological wellbeing: loftier goals for new technologies. IEEE Technology and Society, 32(4).
- Calvo, R. A. & Peters, D. (2012). Positive computing. Interactions, 19(4).
- D. Peters . (2005). "Accessibility - an inclusive approach to online learning". Synergy , (21).
- RA Calvo, D. Peters, D. Johnson, Y. Rogers. (2014). Autonomy in Technology Design. In CHI’14 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Calvo, R. A., Pardo, A., Peters, D. (2013). Supporting Emotional Intelligence with Automatic Sensing of the organization’s affective state. In Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace Conference. London, 29-31 May .
- Calvo, R. A. & Peters, D. (2013). The Irony and Re-interpretation of Our Quantified Self. In OZCHI’13. Adelaide, November 25–29, 2013.
- R. Calvo, R. Ellis, D. Peters. (2005). "Internationalisation and E-learning Systems: .LRN Case Studies". In OnlineEDUCA 2005.
- Ullman, A., Peters, D., Reimann, P. (2005). Developing a research supportive web-based learning system. In 17th Biennial Conference of the Open and Distance Learning Association of Australia (ODLAA 2005).
- R. A. Calvo and D. Peters. (2002). Teaching by Design: Visual Design for Multimedia Education. In AusWEB 2002. (pp. 646–649).
- Peters, D. (2012). UX for Learning: Design Guidelines for the Learner Experience, UX Matters.
- D. Peters. (2011). Say Hello to Learning Interface Design, UX Magazine.
- D. Peters . (2005). "50 Ways to Experience the Web - Designing for all possibilities", Desktop Magazine, June Issue.