Professor Geoffrey Sherington
BA(Hons)(UNSW), MA(UNSW), PhD(McM)
Professor in History of Education
Phone: +61 2 9351 6290
Fax: +61 2 9351 4580
Educational history, sociology and philosophy
- History of education
universities, elites, education, access, curriculum
Former Dean of the Faculty of Education (1997-2003) and then Acting Deputy Vice Chancellor (2003), Professor Geoffrey Sherington has been a member of the University of Sydney for over 25 years. Having graduated with Bachelor of Arts with Honours in History from the University of Sydney and then a Master of Arts from the University of New South Wales, he then studied oveseas in Canada and England graduating from McMaster University with a Ph D. On return to Australia he was appointed a Lecturer in Education at the University of Wollongong before taking up an appointment at the University of Sydney. After a career as lecturer, senior lecturer and Associate Professor he was appointed to a personal chair in the history of education in 1997 just prior to becoming Dean of the Faculty.Over the past 30 years he has been the author and co-author of 15 books and numerous articles in the history of education. He has been the recipient of a number of competitive research grants. His current interests include the fate of the comprehensive public high school and the history of universities as public institutions.
Professional and community roles
Member of Editorial Board Paedagogica Historica (Belgium)
Member of Editorial Board History of Education (UK)
Current research students
|Project title||Degree||Research student|
|TBC||MEd(Research)||Riley Noel Warren|
- Campbell, C, Proctor, H, Sherington, G. (2009). School Choice: How parents negotiate the new school market in Australia. Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
- Sherington, G. & Georgakis, S. (2008). Sydney University Sport 1852-2007: more than a club. Sydney: Sydney University Press.
- Campbell, C, Sherington, G. (2007). Going to School in Oceania. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press.
- Campbell, C, Sherington, G. (2006). The comprehensive public high school: Historical perspectives. New York: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Sherington, G, Campbell, C. (2007). Middle class formations and the emergence of national schooling: a historiographical review of the Australian debate. In Tolley K (Ed.), Transformations in Schooling: Historical and Comparative Perspectives (Vol. 1, pp. 15–39), New York: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Campbell, C, Sherington, G, White, M. (2007). Borders and boundaries in the history of education. Paedagogica Historica: International Journal of the History of Education , 43(1), 1–6.
- Campbell, C, Sherington, G. (2006). A genealogy of an Australian system of comprehensive high schools: The contribution of educational progressivism to the one best form of universal secondary education (1900-1940). Paedagogica Historica: international journal of the history of education , 42(1-2), 191–210.