Dr Marie Stevenson
PhD(Sydney), BA(UNSW), MA(Sydney)
Lecturer in TESOL
Convenor of MEd TESOL
Phone: +61 2 9351 3684
Fax: +61 2 9351 4580
Research on teaching and learning
- English and literacy
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- English for academic purposes
- Second language acquisition
Dr Marie Stevenson completed a Master's degree in Linguistics and a PhD in Education at the University of Amsterdam. Her doctoral thesis involed a comparison of the reading and writing processes of Dutch school students in Dutch and English.
Her research interests relate to second and foreign language use and learning, partiularly in the areas of writing, discourse analysis and reading. She has extensive research experience in these areas.
She has taught on the MEd TESOL program for a number of years. Her main teaching areas are second language teaching methodology, grammar and literacy. Marie also has many years of English teaching experience behind her, particularly in the areas of EFL and ESP.
Marie lived in Europe for 17 years, but returned to her home town, Sydney, in 2005. When not working, she enjoys bushwalking, cycling, and many of the other things that Sydney has to offer.
Excellence in Teaching Award 2010
Professional and community roles
Co-editor of Univeristy of Sydney Papers in TESOL
- Examination of interpersonal meaning-making in young writers in Swedish and English (together with visiting scholar Dr Evan Lindgren, University of Umea, Sweden)
- Examination of stance in academic writing
- Meta-analysis and synthesis of research on Automated Writing Evaluation (AWE) (project commissioned by ETS)
Current research students
|Project title||Degree||Research student|
|A critical analysis of newspaper opinion texts from the US, the UK and Australia on the Global Financial Crisis||PhD||Jen Cope|
|Avoidance of grammatical forms of Korean learners of English.||PhD||Svetlana Salatcaia|
|Intertextuality in undergraduate student writing||PhD||Leighana Thornton|
- Paltridge, B., Harbon, L., Hirsh, D., Shen, H., Stevenson, M., Phakiti, A & Woodrow, L. . (2009). Teaching Academic Writing. University of Michigan Press.
- Stevenson, M . (2010). Researching reading. In B. Paltridge & A. Phakiti (Ed.), Continuum Companion to Research Method in Applied Linguistics London/New York: Continuum.
- Schoonen, R., Snellings, P., Stevenson, M., & van Gelderen. A. (2009). Towards a blueprint of the foreign language writer: The linguistic and cognitive demands of foreign language writing . In R.M. Manchón (Ed.), Learning, teaching, and researching writing in foreign language contexts US: Multilingual Matters.
- Lindgren, E, Stevenson, M, Sullivan, K. (2008). Supporting the reflective language learner with Computer Keystroke Logging. In Felicia Zhang & Beth Barber (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Computer-Enhanced Language Acquisition and Learning (pp. 189–204), United States: Idea Group Publishing.
- Schoonen, R., Gelderen, A. van, Glopper, K. de, Hulstijn, J., Simis, A., Snellings, P., & Stevenson, M. . (2002). Linguistic knowledge, metacognitive knowledge and retrieval speed in L1, L2 and EFL writing.. In In S. Ransdell & M. Barbier (Eds.) (Ed.), (pp. 101–122), Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers..
- Han, F, Stevenson, M. (2008). Comprehension monitoring in first and foreign language reading. University of Sydney Papers in TESOL, 3, 73–110.
- Stevenson, M, Schoonen, R, Glopper, K. (2007). Inhibition or Compensation? A Multidimensional Comparison of Reading Processes in Dutch and English. Language Learning: a journal of research in language studies , 57(S1), 115–154.
- Stevenson, M, Schoonen, R, Glopper, K. (2006). Revising in two languages: A multi-dimensional comparison of online writing revisions in L1 and FL. Journal of Second Language Writing, 15(3), 201–233.
- van Gelderen, A., Schoonen, R., de Glopper, K., Hulstijn, J., Simis, A., Snellings, P., & Stevenson, M. . (2004). Linguistic knowledge, processing speed and metacognitive knowledge in first and second language reading comprehension: A componential analysis. . International Journal of Bilingualism, 6(1), 7–25.
- Schoonen, R., Gelderen, A. van, Glopper, K. de, Hulstijn, J., Simis, A., Snellings, P., & Stevenson, M. . (2003). First language and second language writing: the role of linguistic knowledge, speed of processing and metacognitive knowledge. . Language Learning, 96(1), 165–202.
- van Gelderen, A., Schoonen, R., de Glopper, K., Hulstijn, J., Simis, A. Snellings, P. & Stevenson, M. . (2003). Roles of linguistic knowledge, metacognitive knowledge and processing speed in L3, L2 and L1 reading comprehension; a structural equation modelling approach. . International Journal of Bilingualism, 6(1), 7–25.
- Stevenson, M., Schoonen, R., & de Glopper, K. . (2003). Inhibition or Compensation? A multi-dimensional comparison of reading processes in Dutch and English. . Language Learning, 53(4), 765–815.
- Schoonen, R., Poelmans, P., Simis, A., & Stevenson, M. (2000). Het belang van cognitieve automatisering in tweede taalverwerving [The importance of cognitive automatization in second language acquisition]. . Gramma/TTT – tijdschrift voor taalwetenschap, 8(1), 3–32.