Director, Digital Innovation & Knowledge Management
Project Leader in Technology mediated Learning and Practice
Phone: +61 2 9351 6369
Fax: +61 2 9036 5205
Learning sciences; psychology of education
- Learning technologies and new media
Technology mediated Learning and Practice, the use of online video in teaching & learning and e-Research, mobile learning, collaborative learning, reflective learning, computational intelligence and knowledge technology
- Wong, W.Y., Shen, H.Z.,Hu, C.,White, K., Goodyear, P., Reimann, P., Luo, Q, Peiying, and Zheng, W., "Interactive web-based video teaching/learning platform for language skill development and intercultural understanding", Commonwealth Dept. of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) NALSSP Round 2 partnership grant. Awarded $352,000.
- Reimann, P., Bloomfield, D., Waugh, F., Gile, R., Wong, W.Y., Chamber, B., Simone, W., and Bowles, W., "Authentic assessment of students in practice settings: A participatory design approach". ALTC grant(Australian Learning & Teaching Council – Priority Project Grant) Awarded $219,000.
- Wong, W. Y., Waugh, F., O’Connor, D., O’Hara, A., and Simpson, A. "Managing and tracking the proposal of new units of study and reporting enhancement in SUMO". University of Sydney TIES Grant (2010). Awarded $10,000.
- Wong, W. Y., Reimann, P., Armstrong, A. C., Howie P., Waugh, F., Walker, R., Loughland, T., O’Hara, A., Lynch, D., Anderson, M., O’Connor, D., Simpson, A. and Harbon, L. “An Educational Video with Annotation (EVA) collaboratory and teaching and learning management framework”. University of Sydney TIES Large Grant (2008-2009). Awarded $218,410.
- Wong, W. Y., Reimann, P., O’Connor, D., Loughland, T., Walker, R. and Anderson, M. “Development of a web based video teaching and learning system with synchronized and dynamic online collaborative annotation”. University of Sydney TIES Large Grant (2007). Awarded $50,147.
- Wong, W. Y., Reimann, P., Loughland, T., Osborne, A., and Thompson, K. “Supporting Mobile Learning outside of classroom”. University of Sydney TIES Small Grant (2007). Awarded $10,000.
- D.M. Zhang, W.Y. Wong, M. Prokopenko, F.F. Islam, R. Kowalczyk, M.A. Oldfield, M. Butler, P. Trayers, "A Television Program Recommendation System",Australian patent 748480 (provisional applications dates 30 Sep 1999 and 03 Jul 2000; publication date 05 Apr 2001; accepted journal date 06 Jun 2002).
- D.M. Zhang, W.Y. Wong, M. Prokopenko, F.F. Islam, R. Kowalczyk, M.A. Oldfield, M. Butler, P. Trayers, "System for Supporting Program Selection", Japan patent application number 2000-299286 (29 Sep 2000), publication number JP-2001-189896-A (10 Jul 2001).
Co-recipient of the University of Sydney Vice-Chncellor's Award for Systems that Achieve Collective Excellence for the online Standard Unit of study Manager and Organiser (SUMO) system. 2009
Co-recipient of CSIRO Award for Research Contribution to Multimedia Delivery Technology 2003
Chevron Scholarship for Graduate Studies 1989
General Electric Scholarship for Academic Achievement 1986
University of Minnesota Undergraduate Research Opportunity Award 1985
- Stewart, K. M., Thompson, K., Hedberg, J. G. and Wong, W.Y. (2009). Using Technology to Support Quality Learning for School Activities Involving Field Studies. In , Architectures for Distributed and Complex M-Learning Systems: Applying Intelligent Technologies USA: IGI Global publisher.
- Lee, M., Wong, W. Y., and Zhang, D. M. (1999). A Knowledge-Based Framework for Clinical Incident Management. International Journal for the Expert Systems With Applications, 17(4), 315–325.
- Bishop, G.A., Rokahr, K. L., Lowes, M., McGuinness, P.H., Napoli J., DeCruz, D.J., Wong, W. Y., and McCaughan, G. W. (1997). Quantitative reverse transcriptase-PCR amplification of cytokine mRNA in liver biopsy specimens using a non-competitive method. Journal of Immunology and Cell Biology, , 142–147.
- Dutta, S., Shekhar, S. and Wong, W. Y. (1994). Decision Support in Non-Conservative Domains: Generalization with Neural Networks. Decision Support Systems, 11, 527–544.
- Hu,C., Galstaun, V., & Wong, W. (2011). Learning Technology by Collaborative Design and Evaluation. In In 9th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning. CSCL2011: Connecting computer supported collaborative learning to policy and practice. Hong Kong, July 4 - 8. .
- Jacobson, M. J., Richards, D., Kapur, M., Taylor, C., Hu, T., Wong, W.-Y., & Newstead, A. (2011). Collaborative virtual worlds and productive failure: Design research with multi-disciplinary pedagogical, technical and graphics, and learning research teams. In H. Spada, G. Stahl, N. Miyake, & N. Law Connecting Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning to Policy and Practice: CSCL2011 Conference Proceedings. Volume III -- Community Events Proceedings (IIIpp. 1126–1129).
- Hu, C., Wong, W.Y., Fyfe, V. & Chan, H. (2010). . (2010). Use EVA to faciliate preservice teacher peer assessment. . In C. Crawford et al. Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2010 (pp. 3257–3264). San Diego, USA, March 29-April 2, 2010.
- Hu, C., Wong, W.Y., Fyfe, V. & Chan, H. (2010). Formative Evaluation via Technology-Mediated Peer Assessment. . In Chesapeake, VA: AACE. Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications (pp. 1508–1513). Toronto, Canada, June 29- July 2, 2010 .
- Wong, W.Y., and Howie, P. (2010). Teaching developmental psychology using an interactive online video platform. In Proceedings of the 2010 Conference of the Australiasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (ASCILITE).
- Wong W. Y. and Reimann P. (2009). Web based Educational Video Teaching and Learning platform with Collaborative Annotations. In IEEE 9th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 2009) (pp. 696–700).
- Wong, W. & Hurley, A. (2005). Web Based Navigable and Synchronized Video Lecture Delivery. In C. Crawford et al. Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education International Conference 2005 (pp. 673–678).
- Wong, W. Y. & Wong, L. (2005). Using Wikiweb for Community Information Sharing and e-Governance. In C. Crawford et al. Proceedings of Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education International Conference 2005 (pp. 2125–2128).
- Wong, W. Y. (2003). Delivering structured video seminar over the web. In A. Rossett Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2003 (pp. 2498–2501).
- Wong, W. Y., Zhang, D. M., and Kara-Ali, M. (2000). Towards an experience-based negotiation agent. In 4th International Workshop on Cooperative Information Agents, CIA-2000.
- Wong, W. Y., Zhang, D. M., and Kara-Ali, M. (2000). Negotiating with experience. In AAAI2000 Knowledge-Based Electronic Markets, Technical Report WS-00-04 (pp. 85–90).
- Wong, W. Y. and Graham, S. (2000). Profiling Using Generalisation Map and Instance Based Classifier. In the IASTED International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Applications.
- Prokopenko, M., Bulter, M., and Wong, W. Y. (1999). Toward Tactical Coordination in the RoboCup Simulation League. In IJCAI 99 RoboCup Team Description Paper.
- Zhang, D., Wong, W. Y., & Lee, M. (1999). Sharing and Re-use of Clinical Incident Information on the Web. In WebNet World Conference on the WWW and Internet 1999 (pp. 660–665).
- Zhang, D. M., Wong, W. Y., and Lee, M. (1999). Using CBR for Clinical Incident Management. In The 1999 IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Conference (SMC'99).
- Zhang, D. M., Lee, M., and Wong, W. Y. (1999). A case-based approach to design of intervention strategies for incidents. In IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (pp. 318–323).
- Wong, W. Y., Lee, M., and Zhang, D. M. (1999). Managing Clinical Incidence in General Practice. In AAAI 99 Workshop on Exploring Synergies of Knowledge Management and Case-Based Reasoning.
- Alem, L., Kowalczyk, R.,Lee, M., Ni, Y., Bui, V., Wong, W. Y. and Zhang, D. M. (1999). Next generation of negotiation agents for electronic commerce trading: a CMIS research agenda perspective. In CollECTeR'99. Wellington, New Zealand, 1st Dec 1999.
- Wong, W. Y. and Robertson, J. (1999). Learning from relevant document pool using Principal Component Neural Net. In AOM/IAOM CS 99, Internationl Conference of American and International Association of information managementment 1999.
- Zhang, D. M., Wong, W. Y., and Kowalczyk, R. (1999). Reusing previous negotiation experiences in Multi-agent Negotiation. In Agents in Electronic Commerce, WAEC'99 (pp. 79–87).
- Robertson, J., Wong, W. Y., Chung, C., and Kim, D. (1998). Automatic Speech Recognition for generalised time based media retrieval and indexing. In ACM Multimedia98. Bristol UK, September 1998.
- Wong, W. Y., Robertson, J., and Chung, C. (1998). Audio word spotting using approximate string match. In the IASTED International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing.
- Wong W. Y. and Robertson, J. (1998). Application of phonological knowledge in audio word spotting. In 11th International FLAIRS Conference.
- Prokopenko, M., Kowalczyk, R., Lee, M., and Wong, W. Y. (1998). Designing and Modelling Situated Agents Systematically: Cyberoos'98. In PRICAI-98 RoboCup Workshop at the 5th Pacific Rim International Conference on Artificial Intelligence.
- Robertson, J., Wong, W. Y., and Chung, C. (1998). The use of approximate string matching techniques to enhance speech based media retrieval. In Proceeding of the International Symposium on Audio, Video, Image Processing and Intelligent Application 1998, IASVIIA98. Baden, Germany, August 1998.
- Prokopenko,M., Lindley,C., Kumar, V.R., and Wong.W. Y. . (1996). Building an Expert System for Dispatch Management: Reasoning about Action Approach. In the 5th International Conference on Intelligent Systems (ISCA ICIS'96) (pp. 81–86). Reno, Nevada, 19-21 June 1996.
- Dutta, S., Shekhar, S. and Wong, W. Y. (1992). Decision Support in Non-Conservative Domains: Generalization Using Neural Networks. In F.H. Vogt Personal Computers and Intelligent Systems, Information Processing 92, Vol. III, (Proceedings of the 12th World Computer Congress, IFIP '92 (pp. 259–265). Madrid, Spain, 7-11 Sept 1992.
- Wong, W. Y. (2003). Review of Bayesian Belief Network, CSIRO CMIS Technical Report 03/39.
- Wong, W. Y. and Smith, K. (2003). Using Cyc ontology and knowledge base, CSIRO CMIS Technical Report 03/28.
- Wong, W. Y. (2003). Web Based Seminar Delivery – Framework and Implementation, CSIRO CMIS Technical Report 03/27.
- Wong, W. Y. and Lee, M. (2002). Flexible Live Video Delivery, CSIRO CMIS Technical Report 02/58.
- Wong, W. Y., Zhang, D.M. and Graham, S. (2001). Design and implementation of an experience based risk profiler, CSIRO CMIS Technical Report 01/63.
- Wong, W. Y., Zhang, D.M. and Graham, S. (2001). Learning concept map, CSIRO CMIS Technical Report 01/62.
- Wong, W. Y., Zhang D. M., and Gorton, I. (2000). E-K Framework with Concept Map - An integrated, layered, and scalable approach towards Proactive Cargo Risk Profiling, CSIRO CMIS Technical Report 00/200. Commercial-in-Confidence.
- Wong, W, Y., Milne, P., and Lee, M. (2000). Data Warehousing, Reactive Alert/Targeting, Proactive Profiling, and Performance Analysis in ACS, CSIRO CMIS Technical Report 00/137. Commercial-in-Confidence.
- Wong. W. Y. and Zhang, D. M. (2000). Consumer Profiling using Generalisation Based Learning, CSIRO CMIS report 00/72.
- Wong, W. Y., Milne, P., Lee, M., Berry, M., Hawkin, D., Zhang, D. M., and Alem, L. (2000). Technical Estimate and Requirement Indicator Report for Intelligent Cargo Risk Assessment, CSIRO CMIS Technical Report 00/136. Commercial-in-Confidence.
- Wong. W. Y. and Zhang, D. M. (1999). Generalisation-based learning algorithm with date stamp, CSIRO CMIS report 99/239. Commercial-in-Confidence.
- Wong. W. Y. and Zhang, D. M. (1999). Generalised Preference Learning engine: Implementation of Learning module for demonstrator 1 in iMAR-DTV, CSIRO CMIS report 99/236. Commercial-in-Confidence.
- Wong, W. Y. (1998). Artificial Neural Network in PACS, CSIRO CMIS Technical Report 98/227. Commercial-In-Confidence.