Sessional tutor, Social work and policy studies
Research project description
My principal research interests broadly lay in the deployment of contemporary social theory, in particular post structural theories, to conduct research on current social issues and concerns. My PhD research project perationalises Foucauldian concepts of knowledge, power and discourse as methodological strategies to examine the production of sexual assault as feminist knowledge/practice in a specific institutional location.
2010 Katherine Ogilvie Memorial Award
2008-2009 University of Sydney Post Graduate Scholarship Award
2008&2009 Helen Marchant-Pritchard Memorial Award
2008 APRU Doctoral Students Network (Vice Chancellor’s) conference grant
Professional and community roles
Member of the Australian Women’s and Gender Studies Association
|Sexual assault as (feminist) knowledge: A Foucauldian examination of the field of sexual assault in NSW, Australia||PhD||Professor Jude Irwin|
|Sexual assault as (feminist) knowledge: A Foucauldian examination of the field of sexual assault in NSW, Australia||PhD||Associate Professor Susan Goodwin|
- Egan,S. (2008). Research for practice in small human service organisations. Doing and disseminating small-scale research. . In D. Bottrell & G. Meagher (Ed.), Communities and change selected Papers (pp. 303–317), Sydney: University of Sydney Press.
- Egan, S . (2007). Are we on the right track? Mapping the terrain of anger management. . In In Wierenga, A. (ed). (Ed.), Are We There Yet? National Youth affairs conference Proceedings: Peer reviewed papers, (pp. 51–58), Melbourne:: Youth Affairs Council of Victoria (YACVic),.
- Atkinson, S., Weeks, R., Barbaux, M., O'Hara, A., Waugh, F and Egan, S. (2009). Making the Move from Static to Activity-based E-learning: investigation of a possible model.. Proceedings EDULEARN, International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies, Barcelona (Spain), 6 - 8 July. . DOI:ISSN 978-84-612-9802-0
- Bowles, W., Waugh, F., Giles, R., & Egan, S . (2013). Authentic assessment in practice settings – online resources for practitioners supervising social work students.. In Paper presented at WACE World Conference on Cooperative and Work-Integrated Education Conference, 2013. . Durban, South Africa,, 24 – 27 June, 2013.
- Waugh, F., Bowles, W., Giles, R., & Egan, S. . (2013). Presentation of results of research -Authentic assessment in practice settings – online resources for field educators supervising social work students.. In Invited keynote at Combined Universities Field Education Group (NSW) Social Work and Welfare Field Education Colloquium . UNSW, Sydney,, 3 April, 2013..
- Bloomfield, D., White, S., Waugh, F., Bowles, W., Giles, R., Reimann,P., Goulding, J., Egan,S., & Chambers, B. . (2012). Supporting assessment in practice settings: a cross disciplinary co-operative approach.. In Paper presented at AARE-APERA conference, . University of Sydney,, 2-6 December, 2012..
- Egan, S.,. (2012). Interrogating the contradictory spaces of contemporary feminist knowledge/practices in the field of sexual assault.. In Interventions: Reflections, Critiques and Practices, Australian Women’s and Gender Studies Association Biennial Conference,. University of NSW,, 21 – 23 November 2012.
- Egan, S. (2011). Feminist practices and neurobiological discourses: charting knowledge production though the routine practices of sexual assault practitioners. . In Paper presented at Knowledge/Culture/Social/Change. International Conference Centre for Cultural Research, . University of Western Sydney, NSW, 3 – 4 November, 2011..
- Egan, S . (2011). “There’s a lot of purple upstairs”. An exploration of the place of feminism in contemporary sexual assault services. . In Invited paper presented at Sharing our Knowledge and Skilling our Peers. CASAC conference . Robertson, NSW,, 24-26 March, 2011..
- Giles, R., Waugh, F. Bowles, W. & Egan, S. . (2011). Assessment of Students in practice settings: Ensuring quality and consistency, . In Paper presented at Combined University Field Education Group (CUFEG) symposium, . University of New South Wales,, 31st October, 2011..
- Giles, R., Waugh, F. Bowles, W. & Egan, S. . (2011). Authentic Assessment of students in practice settings, . In Paper presented at AASWWE symposium: Footprints: Social Work and Human Services Education Making its Mark. . Griffith University, Gold Coast., 29-30 September, 2011. .
- Reimann, P., Waugh, F., Bloomfield, D., Giles, R., Chambers, B.,Wong, W.,Bowles, W., White, S., Goulding, J. & Egan, S. . . (2011). Assessing the practicum: Eliciting cases and design patterns , . In Poster presented at ATN Assessment conference: Meeting the Challenges . Curtin University, Perth, WA, 20-21 October, 2011. .
- Reimann, P., Waugh, F., Bloomfield, D., Giles, R., Chambers, B.,Wong, W.,Bowles, W., White, S., Goulding, J. & Egan, S. . (2011). Authentic assessment of pre-service teachers and social work students in schools and human service settings, . In Paper presented at ATN Assessment conference Meeting the Challenges, . Curtin University, Perth., 20-21 October, 2011..
- Barbaux, M., Waugh, F., Weeks, R., Egan, S., Atkinson, S. . (2010). Collaborative blended learning design. . In Poster presented at Learning Technology Research Fest, Centre for Research on Computer Supported Learning and Cognition, .
- Egan, S . (2009). The highs, lows, and logistics associated with data collection, . In Invited panel paper presented at Research Students Forum Faculty of Education and Social Work, . University of Sydney, NSW, 4 June, 2009..
- Egan, S . (2008). “What is your role here exactly” A student and supervisor reflect on the experience of ‘doing’ a research based field education placement. . In Invited paper presented with Crystal Cheng, final year social work student, at Learning in field education: Integration of research and practice. . University of Sydney, NSW, 26 July, 2008. .
- Egan, S . (2008). Feminist discourses, sexual violence and social work practices. Exploring the Australian context.. In Paper presented at Leading Research for a Better Future: Pacific Scope, Global Impact, 9th Annual Association of Pacific Rim Universities Doctoral Students Conference, . Vladivostok, Russia., 14-18 July, 2008.
- Egan, S . (2008). Feminist) knowledge production and sexual assault services in NSW: A short introduction.. In Paper presented at Social Policy Research Network (SPRN) Post Graduate Seminar Series, . Faculty of Education and Social Work, University of Sydney,, October 3, 2008..
- Egan, S. (2008). Sexual Assault Services in NSW. An (incomplete) history. . In Child and Adolescent Sexual Assault Counsellors Inc (CASAC) conference, . Bundanoon, NSW, April 2-4, 2008. .
- Egan, S . (2007). Research for practice in small human service organizations. Doing and disseminating small-scale research.. In Invited paper presented at Research Partnerships and Collaborations in Education and Social Work, Communities and Change Research Festival, . University of Sydney. NSW, October 22-26, 2007. .
- Egan, S . (2007). Mad, Bad, or Just Plain Angry: An Exploration of the Issues Surrounding Anger Management and Young People. . In Paper presented at Strengthening Youth Work in NSW, Youth Action Policy Association (YAPA) Conference, . Sydney, NSW, 24-26 September, 2007..
- Egan, S . (2007). Are we on the right track? Mapping the terrain of anger management. . In Paper presented at Are We There Yet? National Youth affairs Conference, . Melbourne, Victoria, 2-4 May, 2007..