Honorary Professor Robert J. Tierney
BSEd(JSU), MEd(UGA), PhD(UGA)
Phone: 040305 4615
Research on teaching and learning
- English and literacy
- Mathematics and science
- Teacher education and professional learning
Literacy education, research paradigms and rhetoric of science, assessment, professional development of educators, multimedia and cultural studies
2003 W.S Gray Citation of Merit, International Reading Association
2000 Reading, Hall of Fame Inductee
1997 Recipient of Literacy Award in recognition of outstanding contributions to the Literacy of Ohio Students by the Literacy Educator and Advocacy Forum
1996 Distinguished Scholar, Edith Cowan University, Perth Western Australia
Professional and community roles
Editorial review board, Reading Research Quarterly (1995 - present)
Editorial advisory board, Pedagogies (2006 - present)
- Tierney, R. J., Anders, P., & Mitchell, J. (Eds.). (in press). Understanding Readers' Understanding. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Tierney, R. J. & Kang, C. (2009). Learning with portfolios - A portfolio journey in Chinese reading and writing classrooms. Beijing: Beijing Normal University Publishing Group.
- Tierney, R. J., Readance, J., & Dishner, E. (2005). (2005). Reading strategies and practices: A compendium.. (6th ed.), Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Tierney, R. J., Crumpler, T., Bond, E., and Bertelsen, C. (2003). (2003). Interactive assessment: Teachers, students and parents as partners.. Norwood, MA: Christopher Gordon Publishers, Inc..
- Rogers, T. & Tierney, R. J. (Ed.). (1994). Reading section editor for the Encyclopedia of English Studies and Teaching Language Arts.. Longman/NCTE.
- Tierney, R. J., Carter, M., & Desai, L. (1991). Portfolio assessment in the reading writing classroom.. Norwood, MA: Christopher Gordon Publishers, Inc..
- Tierney, R. J. . (1990). Improving Comprehension: A Guide for Parents. Hume Corporation.
- Anderson, R. C., Osborn, J., & Tierney, R. J. (Eds.). (1984). Learning to Read in American Schools: Basal Reader and Content Textbooks.. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Tierney, R. J., & Lapp, D. (Eds.). (1979). The National Assessment of Educational Progress in Reading.. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- Tierney, R. J. (in press). Multimedia digital engagements by readers and learners. In , Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics Thousand Oaks, California: Sage.
- Tierney, R. J. (2010). Perspectives on assessment: reflections on and directions from Goodman.. In P. L. Anders (Ed.), Defying Convention, Inventing the Future in Literary Research and Practice. Essays in Tribute to Ken and Yetta Goodman New York: Routledge.
- Tierney, R. J. (2009). Literacy education 2.0: Looking through the rear view mirror as we move ahead.. In J. Hoffman & Y. Goodman (Ed.), Changing literacies for changing times : an historical perspective on the future of reading research, public policy, and classroom practices (pp. 282–300), New York: Routledge.
- Tierney, R. J. (2008). The agency and artistry of meaning makers within and across digital spaces. In Susan E. Israel, Gerald G. Duffy (Ed.), Handbook of Research on reading Comprehension (pp. 261–288), New York: Erlbaum Associates/Routledge.
- O'Flahavan, J. F., & Tierney, R. J. (2008). Moving Beyond Reading and Writing in the Content Areas of Discipline-Based Inquiry.. In D. Lapp, J. Flood & N. Farnan (Ed.), Content Area Reading and Learning (3rd ed., pp. 537–552), New York: Taylor & Francis Group.
- Tierney, Robert J. (2008). Learning with Multiple Literacies: Observations of Lives Exploring Meanings, Identities, Possibilities, and Worlds.. In James Flood, Shirley Brice Heath and Dianne Lapp (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Teaching Literacy Through the Communicative and Visual Arts Volume II (pp. 101–108), New York: Taylor & Francis Group.
- Tierney, R.J. . (2007). New literacy learning strategies for new times. In Leslie S. Rush, A. Jonathan Eakle, Allen Berger (Ed.), Secondary school literacy : what research reveals for classroom practice (pp. 21–36), Urbana, IL: NCTE/NCRE.
- Tierney, R.J. and Thome, C. (2006). Is DIBELS leading us down the wrong path?. In Kenneth S. Goodman with Alan Flurkey ... [et al.] ; foreword by P. David Pearson (Ed.), The truth about DIBELS : what it is, what it does (pp. 50–59), Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Tierney, R. J. (2009). Shaping New Literacies Research: Extrapolations From a Review of the Handbook of Research on New Literacies. Reading Research Quarterly, 44(3), 322–339. DOI:dx.doi.org/10.1598/RRQ.44.3.5
- Tierney, R. J. (2008). Reading and students with disabilities: searching for better guidance. Balanced Reading Instruction (Special Issue Fall 2008), 15(2), 89–97.
- Tierney, R. J. (2006). Global/Cultural Teachers Creating Possibilities: Reading Worlds, Reading Selves, and Learning to Teach. Pedagogies: an international journal, 1(1), 77–87.
- Tierney, R. J., Bond, E. & Bresler, J. (2006). Examining Literate Lives as Students Engage With Multiple Literacies. Theory into Practice (Special Issue), 45(4), 359–367. DOI:10.1207/s15430421tip4504_10
- Collins, A. & Tierney, R. J. (2006). Teacher Education Accord: Values and Ideals of the Teaching Profession in Canada. Education Canada, 46(4), 73–75.
- Tierney, R. J. & Rogers, T. (2004). Process/content/design/critique: Generative and dynamic evaluation in a digital world . The Reading Teacher, 58(2), 218–221.
- Tierney, R. J. (2001). An ethical chasm: jurisdiction, jurisprudence, and the literacy profession: a fictional drama illustrates the complexity of politics in the literacy field. A teacher educator is caught between her own ethics and the prevailing trends.. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 45(4), 260–276.