Dr Lucila Carvalho
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Phone: +61 2 9351 3773
Fax: +61 2 9351 5027
Educational history, sociology and philosophy
- Sociology of education
Learning sciences; psychology of education
- Learning technologies and new media
Lucila Carvalho is a postdoctoral research associate in the Centre for Research on Computer Supported Learning and Cognition (CoCo) at the University of Sydney. She works on Professor Peter Goodyear’s Laureate Fellowship program – ‘Learning, technology and design: architectures for productive networked learning’. Her PhD research investigated the sociology of learning in/about design, and ways of practically implementing sociological principles into e-learning design. She developed Design Studio, an e-learning environment to experience design within the Powerhouse Museum (Sydney). She has studied and carried out research in Australia, New Zealand, the UK and Brazil. She has presented her work at various international conferences in the fields of education, sociology, systemic functional linguistics, design and software engineering. She is co-editor (with Peter Goodyear) of the forthcoming book The architecture of productive learning networks.
- Goodyear, P. & Carvalho, L. . (in press). The analysis of complex learning environments. In Beetham, H. & Sharpe, R. (Ed.), Rethinking pedagogy for a digital age: designing and delivering e-learning (2nd ed.,), New York: Routledge.
- Chatteur, F., Carvalho, L. & Dong, A. . (2010). Embedding pedagogical principles and theories into design patterns. In P. Goodyear & S. Retalis (Ed.), Technology-enhanced learning: Design patterns and pattern languages (pp. 183–200), Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Findsen, B. & Carvalho, L. . (2007). Older adults’ learning patterns: trajectories and changing identities?. In Osborne, M., Houston, M & Toman, N. (Ed.), Researching the pedagogy of lifelong learning (pp. 54–66), London: Routledge.
- Carvalho, L.; Dong, A. & Maton, K. . (2009). Legitimating design: a sociology of knowledge account of the field . Design Studies, 30(5), 483–502.
- McLachlan, C.,Carvalho, L., de Lautour, N., & Kumar, K. . (2006). Literacy in early childhood settings in New Zealand: An examination of teachers' beliefs and practices. Australian Journal of Early Childhood, 31(2), 31–41.
- Findsen, B. & Carvalho, L. (2005). Older adults’ learning patterns: Non-formal and informal activities in the third age. . New Zealand Journal of Adult Learning, 33(2), 64–85.
- Carvalho, L., Scott, L., & Jeffery, R. . (2005). An exploratory study into the use of qualitative research methods in descriptive process modelling. . Information and Software Technology, 47(2), 113–127.
- Findsen, B., & Carvalho, L. . (2004). Working alongside older adults in a qualitative participatory research project: Issues and challenges. Journal of Adult & Continuing Education, 10(2), 175–183.
- Scott, L., Carvalho, L., Jeffery, R., Becker-Kornstaedt, U., & D'Ambra, J. . (2002). Understanding the use of an Electronic Process Guide. Information and Software Technology, 44(10), 601–616.
- Carvalho, L. & Dong, A. . (2010). Bringing a social realist approach into the design of computer-supported learning environments: The Design Studio case study. In The Sixth Basil Bernstein International Symposium. Brisbane, Australia, 30 June-3 July.
- Carvalho, L. & Dong, A. (2008). Learning Design by Experiencing Design within a Museum Environment. In 11th International Conference on Experiential Learning . Sydney, Australia, 8-12 December.
- Chatteur, F., Carvalho, L., & Dong, A. . (2008). Design for Pedagogy Patterns for E-Learning. . In P. Díaz & Kinshuk & I. Aedo & E. Mora The 8th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (pp. 341–343). Santander, Spain, 1-5 July.
- Carvalho, L. & Dong, A. . (2008). Sociology of education and the design field: Operationalising the theory. In The Fifth Basil Bernstein Symposium . Cardiff, Wales, 9-12 July.
- Carvalho, L. & Dong, A. . (2007). Knowledge and identity in the design field. In Proceedings of ConnectED International Conference on Design Education. Sydney, Australia, 9-12 July.
- Findsen, B. & Carvalho, L. . (2005). Older adults’ learning patterns: trajectories and changing identities? . In Proceedings of the Centre for Research into Lifelong Learning Conference (1pp. 175–187). Stirling, Scotland, 24-26 June.
- Scott, L., Carvalho, L., & Jeffery, R. . (2002). A process-centred experience repository for a small software organisation. In P. Strooper & P. Muenchaisri Proceedings Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (pp. 603–609). Gold Coast, Asutralia, 4-6 December.
- Scott, L., Jeffery, R., Carvalho, L., D'Ambra, J., & Rutherford, P. . (2001). Practical Software Process Improvement - The IMPACT Project. In Proceedings of the 2001 Australian Software Engineering Conference (ASWEC 2001) (pp. 182–189). Canberra, Australia, 26-28 August.