Dr Steve Georgakis
BEd(Hons)(Sydney), PhD(Sydney), MEd(HigherEd)(Sydney)
Senior lecturer of pedagogy and sports studies
Phone: +61 2 9351 6337
Fax: +61 2 9351 4580
Health and sport
- History and sociology of sport
Research on teaching and learning
- Health and physical education and development
- Learning and teaching in higher education
Steve was appointed to the Faculty of Education and Social Work in 2002 and has a long standing interest and passsion in physical education and school sport, teacher education, history and sociology of sport and pedagogy for learning. He served as program director of the Human Movement and Health Education Program 2006-2008 and has taught in all undergraduate teaching programs in the Faculty including primary undergraduate, primary and secondary M-teach, double degree, general education and study abroad.
An advocate of the all-round University experience, Steve played a significant role in the Interfaculty sport team which won the Penfold Shield in 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2011 (see profile picture of Steve holding the Pendfold Shield).
The author of more than 45 academic publications, he has published on wide and varied aspects of physical education and sports studies including archaeology, history, sociology, pedagogy, comparative and international. His latest publication is the co-authored edited book Youth Sport in Australia.
In 2012, Steve is coordinating the following units: eduh4058 Sport, Learning and Australian Culture (study abroad); eduhf3023 Sport: Contemporary Educational Issues (general education); eduh2017 Pedagogy for Physical Education 2 (HMHE); eduh3018 Pedagogy for Physical Education 3 (HMHE); and edup2004 PDHPE 1: Physical Activity (primary). Steve is also supervising three honours projects which deal with the theorising of Sydney's club Rugby Union competition; the mainstreaming of Australian football; and the correlation between academic achievement and sporting excellence in NSW government schools.
Thomas T. Roberts Travelling Fellowship (2006).
University of Sydney Sesqui R & D Grant (2004)
Greek Government Education Fellowship (2007)
Australian Olympic Committee Fellowship Olympia (2004)
- Title: A history of the NSW Public School Sport 1881-2012. This project traces the history of public school sport in NSW and theorises the role and organisation of Public School Sport since the establishment of compulsory public education. The project involves the location of both primary and secondary sources and an oral history project.
- Title: 'Game Sense' Makes Sense: Developing inclusive physical education and sport pedagogy - a practical guide for teachers and coaches. This project provides a roadmap for introducing and incorporating games and sports into the primary and seconday physical education and school sport curriculum.
- Georgakis, S. (2012). Walking and Hiking the Zagoria and Vikos National Park. Athens: Greek Ministry of Culture.
- Georgakis, S. & Russell, K. (eds.). (2011). Youth sport in Australia. Sydney: Sydney University Press.
- Sherington, G. & Georgakis, S. (2008). Sydney University Sport 1852-2007: more than a club. Sydney: Sydney University Press.
- Georgakis, S. (ed.). (2004). Back To Olympia: The Olympic Games across four millennia. Sydney: JOBA Press.
- Georgakis, S. (2000). Sport and the Australian Greek. Sydney: Standard Publishing.
- Georgakis, S. (2012). Australia. In Chin, M. & Edginton, C. (Ed.), Health and Physical Education Around the World - Best Practice Illinois: Sagamore Publishing.
- Bagnall, N. & Georgakis, S. (2011). Internationalisation, International Education and Technology: Enhancing Learning Approaches in Australian higher education . In Lazakidou, A. & El Emary, I. (Ed.), Learning Oriented Technologies: Networks and Devices (pp. 211–222), Berlin: Publishing House.
- Georgakis, S. (2011). The role of educational institutions in Australian sport. In Georgakis, S. & Russell, K. (Ed.), Youth sport in Australia (pp. 27–42), Sydney: Sydney University Press.
- Georgakis, S. (2004). The Olympic Games 394AD - 1896AD. In Georgakis, S. (Ed.), Back to Olympia: The Olympic Games Across Four Millennia 2000-2004 Sydney: JOBA Press.
- Georgakis, S. (2004). Greek Athletics Outside Greece. In Georgakis, S (Ed.), Back to Olympia: The Olympic Games Across Four Millennia 2000-2004 Sydney: JOBA Press.
- Georgakis, S. & Wilson, R. (2012). Australian Physical Education and School Sport: An Exploration in Contemporary Assessment. Asian Journal of Exercise and Sports Science.
- Wilson, R., Georgakis, S. & Sharma, M. (2012). Approaches to Learning in First Year University Physics. Journal of Social Sciences, 8(2).
- Wilson, R., Georgakis, S. & Hu, X. (2011). Meeting the challenges of electrical engineering 'service courses'. Australasian Journal of Engineering Education, 17(2), 91–101.
- Georgakis, S. & Wilson, R. (2011). Teacher Shortage and Newly Qualified Teachers in Australia: A Physical and Health Education case study. Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 11(4).
- Georgakis, S. (2011). Football Phoenix: The story of the Panhellenic / Sydney Olympic Football Club 1957-2011. Modern Greek Studies: A Journal for Greek Letters., 15(1), 187–206.
- Georgakis, S., Wilson, R. & Hu, X. (2011). Adressing the teaching and learning challenges of 'service cources': A case study of pedagogical reform and innovation. International Journal of Learning, 18(1), 233–245.
- Georgakis, S & Light, R. (2010). Football and Culture in the Antipodes: The Rise and Consolidation of Football in Greek Culture and Society. Modern Greek Studies: A Journal for Greek Letters, 14(1), 271–287.
- Georgakis, S. & Light, R. (2010). The outdoor education classroom: School camping in New South Wales 1890-1960s. The Australian Journal of Outdoor Education, 14(1), 3–12.
- Gunawardena, H., Wilson, R., Georgakis, S. & Bagnall, N. (2010). Homogeneity, permanent residency and racism: Experiences of Indian Students at an Australian Sandstone University. International Journal of Intercultural Information Management, 2(2), 164–177.
- Georgakis, S. (2010). The Cinderella Story: Physical Education at Australian Universities. International Journal of Sport and Society, 1(1), 149–158.
- Georgakis, S. & Wilson, R. (2010). A healthy mind in a healthy body? Australian University Sport in the 21st century. Journal of the World Universities Forum, 3(5), 45–56.
- Georgakis, S. & Light, R. (2009). University men and their role in the development of sport in Australia from 1852 to 1914. Asian Journal of Sport and Exercise Science, 6(1), 45–52.
- Georgakis, S. & Light, R. (2009). Visual data collection methods and research on the affective dimensions of children's personal experiences of physical education. The ACHPER Healthy Lifestyles Journal, 56(3/4), 23–29.
- Light, R, Georgakis, S. (2008). Responses of Study Abroad Students in Australia to Experience-based Pedagogy in Sport Studies. International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning, 1(2), 1–15.
- Light, R, Georgakis, S. (2007). The effect of Game Sense pedagogy on primary school pre-service teachers' attitudes to teaching physical education. ACHPER Healthy Lifestyles Journal, 54(1), 24–28.
- Light, R, Georgakis, S. (2007). Sport Pedagogy, masculinity and the possibilities for expression and creativity in school rugby. Journal of Artistic and Creative Education, 1(2), 24–45.
- Anderson, M. & Georgakis, S. (2006). The Bacchae at Bondi: Greek Drama in Australian Education and Culture. Education & Theatre Journal, 6, 27–34.
- Georgakis, S. (2006). The place and function of sport in Australian universities: Sport at the University of Sydney. Change: Transformations in Education, 9(1), 39–48.
- Light, R. & Georgakis, S. (2006). "Lest we forget": Sport in the cultural memory of Australians. Modern Greek Studies (Australia and New Zealand), 14(Special), 234–245.
- Light, R, Georgakis, S. (2005). Integrating theory and practice in teacher education: The impact of a Game Sense unit on female pre-service primary teachers' attitudes towards teaching physical education. Journal of Physical Education New Zealand, 38(1), 67–80.
- Georgakis, S, Light, R. (2005). The Athens of the South: Sport in Australian Society. Modern Greek Studies (Australia and New Zealand), 13, 58–74.
- Georgakis, S. (2004). The Naian Games of Dodona: The Romanization of Greek Athletics. Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology, 4(1), 97–113.
- Georgakis, S. (2002). T.S.Eliot, Giorgos Seferis and the Anzacs. Modern Greek Studies: A Journal for Greek Letters, 10(1), 114–118.
- Georgakis, S. (2002). Sport and the global Greeks. Modern Greek Studies: A Journal for Greek Letters, 10(1), 118–124.
- Georgakis, S. & Wilson, R. (2011). The Greek Youth Sport System: Policy and Culture. In C. Prachalias International Conference on Education (pp. 243–250). Samos, Greece, 5-9 July 2011.
- Wilson, R., Sharma, M., Stewart,C. & Georgakis, S. (2011). The relationships between school curriculum and university students' conceptions of their subject. In C. Prachalias International Conference on Education (pp. 52–59). Samos, Greece, 5-9 July 2011.
- Goergakis, S. & Bagnall, N. (2011). Comparative Education, School Sport and Belonging. In Australian and New Zealand Comparative and International Education Society .
- Wilson, R. & Georgakis, S. (2011). Revitalising Comparative Education through Mixed Method Methodology. In N. Popov, C. Wolhuter, B. Leutwyler, M. Mihova and J. Ogunleye Ninth International Conference: Comparative Education and Teacher Training (9pp. 13–19). Sofia, Bulgaria, 5-9 July 2011.
- Georgakis, S. & Wilson, R. (2010). Teacher shortage and employment opportunities for newly qualified Australian physical and health education teachers. In Chia, M. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference of Physical Education and Sports Science (pp. 269–275). Singapore, 25-28 May 2010.
- Wilson, R., Sutton, B. & Georgakis, S. (2010). Student entry mode and first year attainment at an Australian university. In IASK Teaching and Learning 2010 International Conference (pp. 343–353). Seville, Spain, 29 November - 1 December 2010.
- Georgakis, S. (2010). Comparative Education Pedagogy in Teacher Training: Innovation in Comparative Education. In Popov, N. Proceedings of the 8th International Comparative Education and Teacher Training Conference (8pp. 33–38). Bulgaria, 9-12 June 2010.
- Gunawardena, H., Bagnall, N., Georgakis, S. & Wilson, R. (2009). The educational and sociocultural experience of Indian students at an Australian metropolitan university: Why urgent review is needed. In Conference Proceedings of the International Association for the Scientific Knowledge - Teaching and Learning (pp. 166–176).
- Light, R, Georgakis, S. (2008). Invasion Games in Physical Education: Assessing Knowledge-in-Action in using the Team Sport Assessment Procedure. In Loughland T Proceedings of the Authentic Assessment Practices for Student Learning Conference (pp. 35–50). Sydney, 16-17 August, 2007.
- Georgakis, S. (2007). From Drills to Skills to Game Sense: The Meta-cognitive Revolution in Physical Education . In Richard Light Proceedings for the Asia Pacific Conference on Teaching Sport and Physical Education for Understanding (pp. 43–56). University of Sydney, 14-15 Dec 2006.
- Light, R, Georgakis, S. (2006). Can Game Sense make a difference? Australian pre-service primary school teachers' responses to Game Sense pedagogy in teacher education programs. In Jeffery, PL AARE Education Research. Creative Dissent: Constructive Solutions (pp. Paper No–(13 page). Parramatta, 27Nov-1 Dec 2005.
- Light, R, Georgakis, S. (2005). Taking away the scary factor': Female preservice primary school teachers' responses to game sense pedagogy in physical education. In A. Brew and C. Asmar Higher Education in a changing world. Research and Development in Higher Education, 28. Proceedings of the 2005 HERDSA Annual Conference. Sydney Australia 3 - 6 July. (pp. 260–266).
- Georgakis, S. (2006). Leaping Backwards: 100 Years of Physical and Health Education at the University of Sydney / Sydney Teachers' College., Sydney: Croydon Publishing..
- Georgakis, S. (2000). PINAX: The Greek Australian Sports Hall of Fame, Sydney: Halkeas Printing.