Dr Heather Weaver
AB(Hons)(Stan), MA(Mich), PhD(Washington)
Fax: +61 2 9351 5027
Educational history, sociology and philosophy
- History of education
Research on teaching and learning
- English and literacy
Social structures, inequalities and social justice
- Gender relations and gender identity
history of schooling, visual literacy, media and cultural studies, democratic learning
Graduate Student Paper Prize in History of Education, American Educational Research Association (2006)
Spencer Dissertation Fellowship Finalist, Spencer Foundation (2006)
Education Faculty Fellowship, University of Washington (2005)
Doi Doctoral Research Grant, University of Washington (2005)
Hagenlocker Excellence in Teaching Award, Cranbrook Kingswood School (1998)
Professional and community roles
Honorary Secretary, Australian and New Zealand History of Education Society (2011-)
Reviewer, History of Education Review and History of Education Quarterly
Grant reviewer, Washington Commission for National and Community Service (2005)
Judge, Washington Golden Apple Excellence in Education Awards (2004)
- Advice about ‘parenting for schooling’ in The Australian Women's Weekly, 1940s-1960s. Joint project with Dr Helen Proctor.
- Socio-cultural history of children and media in Australia, UK & US.
- Weaver, H. A. (in press). “Spirit of Education”: The Gendered Vision of Compulsory Schooling in Mass Magazine Art, 1908-1938. In Sevan G. Terzian (Ed.), American Education in Popular Media: From the Blackboard to the Silver Screen New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Weaver, H. A. (2014). "The Teacher's Unexpected Bath": Plumbing the Meaning of Mayhem in the Celluloid Schoolroom. History of Education Quarterly, 54(2), 145–171. DOI:10.1111/hoeq.12055
- Weaver, H. A. (2012). Object Lessons: A Cultural Genealogy of the Dunce Cap and the Apple as Visual Tropes of American Education. Paedagogica Historica: International Journal of the History of Education, 48(2), 215–241. DOI:10.1080/00309230.2011.560856
- Weaver, H. A. (2011). Together but Unequal: Race and Education in Our Gang, 1929-1943. Journal of American Culture, 34(4), 332–345. DOI:10.1111/j.1542-734X.2011.00784.x
- Weaver, H. A. (2009). Beyond Apples and Ice Cream: The Teacher-Student Relationship as Cinematic Romance, 1909-1936. Film and History, 39(1), 9–20. DOI:10.1353/flm.0.0088
- Weaver, H. A. (2005). Shared Reflection, Reciprocal Communication, Collaborative Action: Exploring the Role of Dialogue in Bridging Education and Democracy. Journal for Civic Commitment, Issue 5.