Professor Ann Brewer
BA(Macquarie), MCom(Honours)(UNSW), PhD(UNSW)
Dean of Professional and Continuing Education
Chief Executive Officer of Centre for Continuing Education and Sydney Learning
Phone: +61 2 9351 4796
Fax: +61 2 9351 4177
Building.Room: Darling Building.L03F
Professor Ann Brewer is the foundation Professor in Organisational Logistics in the Faculty of Economics and Business and it was the first time that a woman held a Chair in the Business School. In 2002 after a number of senior roles in her Faculty including Head of School of Business, Professor Brewer took on a senior role to lead quality assurance and change in the University; she was appointed as Deputy Vice Chancellor (Infrastructure) until 2007 responsible for infrastructure development, staffing, organisational change, quality assurance and improvements as well as staff and student equal opportunity.
Her current executive role, as Deputy Vice Chancellor (Strategic Management), involves the implementation of the strategic plan, the Quality Assurance Strategy for the University, risk management and enterprise bargaining. On behalf of the Vice Chancellor, she also co-ordinates the senior administrative group including the CFO, CIO and all the directors of operations to create alignment with the academic strategy and to promote the University policies and procedures necessary to ensure appropriate decision-making in this areas. She is the Chief Executive Officer for the Centre for Continuing Education and Sydney Learning Pty. Ltd.
She has published in leading international journals in her field and authored six books on organisational change, supply chain management, business management and employee commitment and is also an accredited executive coach.
In 2012, she is a guest lecturer in EDPA5013 Evaluation of Educational Programs within the Faculty.
Professor Brewer has extensive experience in strategic planning and management, quality assurance, risk management, leadership, staff development and coaching.
- Brewer, A. (in press). Leadership, coaching and followership: an important equation. New York: Springer.
- Brewer, A. M., Button, K. J. & Hensher, D. A. (Eds.). (2001). Handbook of logistics and supply-chain management. Amsterdam: Pergamon.
- Hensher, D. A. & Brewer, A. M. (2000). Transport : an economics and management perspective. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Brewer, A. M. (2012). Positive mentoring relationships: nurturing potential. In Sue Roffey (Ed.), Positive relationships: evidence based practice across the World (pp. 197–214), New York: Springer.
- Brewer, A. M. (2006). Quality assurance at the University of Sydney. In Jeanette Baird (Ed.), Quality frameworks: reflections from Australian Universities. AUQA Occasional Publications Number 9 (pp. 71–79), Victoria, Australia: Australian Universities Quality Agency.
- Brewer, A. M. & Walker, I. (2011). Risk management in a university environment . Journal of business continuity and emergency planning, 5(2), 161–172.
- Brewer, A. M. & Zhao, J. (2010). The impact of a pathway college on reputation and brand awareness for its affiliated University in Sydney. International journal of educational management, 24(1), 34–47. DOI:10.1108/09513541011013033
- Brewer, A. M. (2008). Integrating alternative educational pathways: challenges and issues. Continuing higher education review, 72(Fall), 57–73.
- Hensher, D. A. & Brewer, A. M. . (2002). Going for gold at the Sydney Olympics: How did transport perform? . Transport reviews, 22(4), 381–399. DOI:10.1080/01441640110121112
- Hensher, D. A. & Brewer, A. M. (2001). Developing a freight strategy: the use of a collaborative learning process to secure stakeholder input. Transport policy, 8, 1–10.
- Brewer, A. M. & Hensher, D. A. (2001). Identifying the overarching logistics strategy of business processes: an eploratory analysis. International journal of logistics: research and applications, 4(1), 1–41.
- Brewer, A. M. & Hensher, D. A. (2000). Distributed work and travel behaviour: the dynamics of interactive agency choices between employers and employees . Transportation, 27(1), 117–148. DOI:10.1023/A:1005248429131
- Brewer, A. M. (2000). Road rage: what, who, when, where and how?. Transport reviews, 20(1), 49–64. DOI:10.1080/014416400295338
- Brewer, A. M. (2000). Work design for flexible work scheduling: barriers and gender implications . Gender, work and organization, 7(1), 33–44. DOI:10.1111/1468-0432.00091
- Brewer, A. M. & Walker, I. (2010). Risk management in a university environment. In Proceedings of the Australian Quality Forum: higher education AuQF 2010 - "Quality in uncertain times" (pp. 19–27). Gold Coast, Australia, 30 June - 2 July 2010.
- Brewer, A. M. & Arnold, R. (2009). Strategies for change at the University of Sydney CCE: implications for the Canadian Association for University Continuing Education. In Proceedings of CAUCE 2009: 56th annual conference of the Canadian Association for University Continuing Education (CAUCE) (pp. 1–14). Vancouver, 20-23 May 2009.
- Brewer, A. M. . (2008). Equity strategies in higher education: ways to improve the participation and success of under-represented students. In Group of Eight (Go8) - Forum on higher education and social inclusion. University of Melbourne, 16 July 2008.
- Brewer, A. M. & Hensher, D. A. (2001). The impact of staging a major event on commuters’ work and travel behaviour: the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games. In Australian transport research forum. Perth, 2001.
- Brewer, A. M. (2001). Work related travel activity and the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games: a longitudinal study of commuters coping strategies. In World congress of transport researchers. Seoul, Korea, 2001.
- Brewer, A. M. (2000). Organisational logistics as a mode of organising. In Logistics research network annual conference 2000. Lean Enterprise Research Centre, Cardiff University, September, 2000.
- Brewer, A. M. (2011). Training modules, Commissioned for the Australian Organ and Tissue Donation & Transplantation Authority (March – October 2011).
- Grant, D., Wailes, G., Michelson, G., Brewer. A. M.& Hall, R. (2002). Rethinking organizational change (Editorial) , Strategic change, 11(5), 237–242.
- Brewer, A. M. (2000). Development of Terms of Reference for Restructuring Project, Travel Compensation Fund, Pitt Street, Sydney (September 2000).
- Brewer, A. M. (2000). Review of Strategic Performance of the Travel Compensation Fund, Travel Compensation Fund, Pitt Street Sydney (May 2000).
- Brewer, A. M. & Hensher, D. A. (2000). Work Related Travel Activity and the Sydney Olympics: Coping Strategies and Market Targeting: A longitudinal survey, Olympics Road Transport Authority (February - October 2000) .