Creative Leader, Web and Interface Design for Learning
Phone: +61 2 9351 5139
Fax: +61 2 9036 5205
Learning sciences; psychology of education
- Learning technologies and new media
interface design for learning (IDL), design for the learning experience, user experience, educational multimedia, positive computing, design for wellbeing
Dorian coordinates user experience designer, online strategy and web projects for the Faculty of Education and Social Work. She also contributes to faculty eLearning.
She is also creative leader for the Positive Computing Lab, and is currently seconded by the Charles Perkins Centre to work in the area of design for wellbeing.
Dorian is author of two books and has designed for Carnegie Mellon, Cambridge University, ABC, Channel 10 and BMG music and publishes articles on design in journals, conferences and trade magazines.
Dorian moved to Sydney from her hometown, Los Angeles, in 2001. She received a Masters in Multimedia Design from the University of Sydney and a Bachelor's in Writing and Film Directing from Carnegie Mellon University.
- Interface Design for Learning: Design Strategies for Learning Experiences - New riders (Voices that Matter series)
- Positive Computing: Technology for Wellbeing and Human Potential (co-authored with Rafael Calvo) - MIT Press (Forthcoming Oct 2014).
- Find out more about design for wellbeing at PositiveComputing.org.
- Find out more about design for learning at:InterfaceDesignforLearning.com
In 2009 Dorian lead an interface design upgrade of "SUMO". As part of the SUMO team she won a Vice-Chancellor's award for "Systems that acheive collective excellence".
As an instructional designer for Savv-e, pty ltd, Dorian lead the design of a program for Westpac which won the 2004 AITD award for Excellence in Learning Design.
- Calvo, R. A. & Peters, D. . (in press). Positive Computing: Technology for Wellbeing and Human Potential. Cambridge: The MIT Press.
- Dorian Peters. (2014). Interface Design for Learning: Design Strategies for Learning Experiences. San Francisco: New Riders.
- Calvo, R. A and Peters, D. (2013). Promoting psychological wellbeing: loftier goals for new technologies. IEEE Technology and Society, 32(4).
- Calvo, R. A. & Peters, D. (2012). Positive computing. Interactions, 19(4).
- D. Peters . (2005). "Accessibility - an inclusive approach to online learning". Synergy , (21).
- RA Calvo, D. Peters, D. Johnson, Y. Rogers. (2014). Autonomy in Technology Design. In CHI’14 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Calvo, R. A. & Peters, D. (2013). The Irony and Re-interpretation of Our Quantified Self. In OZCHI’13. Adelaide, November 25–29, 2013.
- Calvo, R. A., Pardo, A., Peters, D. (2013). Supporting Emotional Intelligence with Automatic Sensing of the organization’s affective state. In Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace Conference. London, 29-31 May .
- R. Calvo, R. Ellis, D. Peters. (2005). "Internationalisation and E-learning Systems: .LRN Case Studies". In OnlineEDUCA 2005.
- Ullman, A., Peters, D., Reimann, P. (2005). Developing a research supportive web-based learning system. In 17th Biennial Conference of the Open and Distance Learning Association of Australia (ODLAA 2005).
- R. A. Calvo and D. Peters. (2002). Teaching by Design: Visual Design for Multimedia Education. In AusWEB 2002. (pp. 646–649).
- Peters, D. (2012). UX for Learning: Design Guidelines for the Learner Experience, UX Matters.
- D. Peters. (2011). Say Hello to Learning Interface Design, UX Magazine.
- D. Peters . (2005). "50 Ways to Experience the Web - Designing for all possibilities", Desktop Magazine, June Issue.