Professor Gordon Stanley
Dean's Advisory Board Chair, Faculty of Education and Social Work
Phone: +61 2 9351 3747
Fax: +61 2 9351 4580
Learning sciences; psychology of education
- Assessment and evaluation
Gordon Stanley is Honorary Professor of Education at the University of Sydney, Senior Research Fellow in Education at the University of Oxford and Emeritus Professor of Psychology at the University of Melbourne.
From 2008-2010 he was the inaugural Pearson Professor of Educational Assessment and Director, Oxford University Centre for Educational Assessment. He was a member of the Technical Advisory Group on Reliability for Of Qual from 2009-2010, and a member of the Hong Kong Council for the Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications from 2003-2009.
Professor Stanley was President of the Board of Studies in New South Wales in Australia from 1998-2008. In 2007 he chaired the National Numeracy Review for the Human Capital Working Group of the Council of Australian Governments.He has researched and published in educational and psychological testing and has been responsible for managing a number of research and education projects.
From 1995-97 he was Deputy Chair (1995-6) and then Chair (1997) of the Australian National Board of Employment Education and Training as well as Chair of the Higher Education Council.
During the 1990s he became involved in quality assurance issues in education and was a member of the Committee for Quality Assurance in Higher Education 1993-5. In his NBEET role he provided advice on quality issues to the Commonwealth Minister for Education and published a number of papers on performance indicators and quality in higher education.
Currently research interests are around the role of standards in educational assessment, system level reform, and automated assessment systems.
He is a member of the Implementation Committee for the Centre for Assessment, Evaluation and Research a new centre being developed by the Central Board of Secondary Education in India as a Public Private Partnership with the Pearson Foundation. In early August he will be attending the launch of the Centre and participating in two workshops on ‘assessing and providing feedback on student learning’ in Delhi and Kollum. Also in August he will be speaking at the Redefining Admissions Strategies Conference in Melbourne and running a workshop on current assessment for AIS Queensland in Brisbane, In September he will be a keynote speaker at the 1st International Conference of Standards-Based Assessment to be held on the campus of the National Normal University in Taipei, Taiwan.
2008 - NSW Ministerial Meritorious Award for Service to Public Education and Training
2006 - Exceptional Service Award, Professional Teachers’ Council NSW
2004 - Recipient of the Wyndham Medal, Australian College of Educators
2001 - Fellow, Australian College of Educators
- Brada, J.C., Stanley, G. & Bienkowski W. . (2012). The University in the Age of Globalization: Rankings, Resources and Reforms. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Stanley, G. . (2012). Challenges in the quest to create global qualifications and standards are driving change in education systems. In .C. Brada, G. Stanley, & W. Bienkowski (Ed.), The University in the Age of Globalization: Rankings, Resources and Reforms Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Baird, J., Béguin, A., Black, P., Pollitt A. & Stanley, G . (2012). The Reliability Programme: Final Report of the Technical Advisory Group. In D. Opposs & Q. He (Ed.), Ofqual’s Reliability Compendium Coventry: Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation.
- Stanley, G. & Lee J.C. . (2011). Future Educational Reform Policies and Measures. In Lee, J.C. & Caldwell, B. (Ed.), Changing Schools in a world of globalization London: Routledge.
- Tognolini, J. & Stanley, G. . (2011). A standards perspective on the relationship between formative and summative assessment. In P. Powell-Davies (Ed.), New Directions: Assessment and Evaluation East Asia: British Council.
- Stanley, G. . (2011). Secondary school external examination systems. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice, 18, 1–3.
- Tognolini, J. and Stanley, G. . (2010). Standards-based Assessment: A tool and means to the development of human capital and capacity building in education. Examination Research Journal in Tianjin Municipal Educational Admission and Examinations Authority in China, 2.
- MacCann, R.G. & Stanley, G. . (2010). Classification consistency when scores are converted to grades: examination marks versus moderated school assessments. Assessment in Education, Principles, Policy & Practice, 17(3), 255–272.
- MacCann, R.G. & Stanley, G. . (2010). Extending participation in standard setting: an online judging proposal. Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability, 22, 139–157.
- Tognolini, J. & Stanley, G. . (2011). How can we validate educational outcomes when reported in terms of standards? . In Refereed Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Education ISBN: 978-960-466-079-7 (pp. 256–261).