Dr Lesley Hughes
BA(Hons)(UNSW), BSocStud(Sydney), MSW(Merit)(Sydney), GradCertHEd(UNSW), PhD(UNSW)
Honorary Senior Lecturer
Fax: +61 2 9351 5027
Educational history, sociology and philosophy
- History of education
Research on teaching and learning
- Learning and teaching in higher education
Social work and social policy
- Knowledge building in social work practice and education
- • Issues in historical research with religious institutes • Challenges and supports in religion-inspired social care work • Retired social workers’ experiences of education and practice
- Fernandez, E., Heycox, K., Hughes, L. and Wilkinson, M.(eds). (1998). Women Participating in Social Change. Sydney: International Association of Schools of Social Work, Women's Symposium (Hong Kong) Publications Commitee.
- Thorpe,R. and Petruchenia,J. (eds)with Hughes,L. (1992). Community Work or Social Change: An Australian Perspective (New edition) . Sydney: Hale and Iremonger.
- Hughes,L. and Heycox,K. (2011). Reflective Practice and Policing. In Birch, P. and Herrington, V. (Eds.), Policing in Practice Australia: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Hughes, L. and Heycox, K. (2000). Assessment of Student Performance on Practicum. In Cooper, L. and Briggs, L. (Eds.), The Human Services Practicum (pp. 84–95), Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
- Heycox, K., Hughes,L., Duffy A. and Studdy,L. (1999). Keeping Pace with Practice: Social work practicum in hospitals. In Yarrow, A. and Millwater, J. (Eds.), Practical Experience in Professional Education research monograph No. 3 (pp. 1–13), Brisbane: PEPE Inc, QUT Publications and Printery.
- Heycox,K. and Hughes,L. (1997). 'Where have all the placements gone?': Factors which help and hinder the provision of social work practicum in large teaching hospitals in Sydney. In Yarrow,A. and Milwlater, J. (Eds.), Practical Experiences in Professional Education Research Monograph No. 2 (pp. 165–177), Gold Coast Qld.: PEPE Inc. Griffith University.
- Heycox,K. and Hughes,L. (1996). Three Perspectives on Assessment in Practice Learning. In Doel, M. and Shardlow, S. (Eds.), Social Work in in a Changing World (pp. 85–102), Aldershot: Arena.
- Hughes,L. (2010). Catholic Sisters and Australian Social Welfare History. Australasian Catholic Record, 87(1), 30–46.
- Davis, C., Hughes, L.,Sloan,M.,Tang,C. and MacMaster, S. (2009). HIV/AIDS Knowledge,sexual activity and safer sex practices among female students in Hong Kong, Australia and the United States. Journal of HIV/AIDS and Social Services, 8, 414–429.
- Hughes, L. (2008). Social Care Work in the Recent Past: Revisiting the professional/amateur dichotomy. Australian Social Work, 61(3), 226–238.
- Moran, C. and Hughes, L. . (2006). Social Work Students and Humour. Social Work Education, 25, 501–517.
- Davis,C.,Sloan,M.,Macmaster,S. and Hughes,L. (2006). The International AIDS Questionnaire-English Version (IAQ-E): Assessing the validity and reliability. Journal of HIV/AIDS Prevention in Children and Youth, 7(2), 29–42.
- Hughes, L. (2004). Women and Management: Catholic Sisters in late Nineteenth Century Sydney. Advances in Social Work and Welfare Education, 6(1), 16–29.
- Hughes, L. (2002). Poor Law Principles, Sectarianism and the State: The work of Catholic Sisters in Nineteenth Century New South Wales. Voluntary Action, 5(1), 89–106.
- Bolzan, N., Heycox, K. and Hughes, L. (2001). From Pillar to Post: Women and social work education in the Twenty-First Century. Australian Social Work, 54(1), 67–79.
- Hughes,L. (1998). Catholics and the Care of Destitute Children in late Nineteenth Century New South Wales. Australian Social Work, 51, 17–25.
- Eisenberg,M., Heycox,K. and Hughes,L. (1996). Fear of the Personal: Assessment of students on practicum. Australian Social Work, 49(4), 33–40.
- Hughes,L., Heycox,K. and Eisenberg,M. (1994). Fear of Failing: Field teachers and the assessment of marginal students. Advances in Social Welfare Education, 1994(1), 139–146.