Dr Neville John Ellis
BEd(Art)(CAI), MEd(NU Singapore), DipDepartmentalManagement(NanTech), PhD(Sydney)
Phone: +61 040691 2626
Teacher professional learning, Practitioner enquiry, Teachers' beliefs and practices
Neville has worked as a classroom teacher, school leader and academic in various settings both in NSW and abroad, spending considerable time in Singapore where he worked as a Senior Education Officer for the Ministry of Education.
His PhD, completeted through the University of Sydney, was a comparative case study which focussed on teacher professional learning and practitioner research, investigating how practices are pre-figured and hence remodelled in different contexts.
Neville's research interests lie in curriculum and assessment, pedagogy and practice, practitioner research, teacher professional learning and career development.
ASCD Bookprize, Diploma of Departmental Management, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2002
Thomas T Roberts Education Fellowship, 2010
Outstanding Research Student Award, 2011, Semester 2
Trevor Miller Memorial Fund Award, 2012
Professional and community roles
Member of the NSW Institute for Educational Research (IeR) executive committee
- Ellis, N.J. (in press). Afraid to lose out: the impact of kiasuism on practitioner research in Singapore schools . Educational Action Research.
- Ellis, N.J. & Armstrong, A.C. (2013). How context shapes practitioner research and professional learning in schools in Singapore and NSW . Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education . DOI:10.1080/03057925.2013.767674
- Ellis, N.J., Armstrong, A.C. & Groundwater-Smith, S . (2009). Academics’ views of the value of action research in secondary schools. Synergy, 29, 12–18.
- Ellis, N.J., & Tay-Koay, S.L. (1995). The Notion of Creativity in Art and the Influence of Cultural Exposure. Singapore Journal of Education, 15(2), 52–63.
- Ellis, N.J. & Armstrong, A.C . (2011). What (Some) Teachers (Really) Think about Practitioner Research: Views from NSW and Singapore. In S. Howard (Ed.), Australian Association for Research in Education International Education Research Conference 2010 Conference Proceedings. Melbourne, Australia, 30 Nov – 2 Dec, 2010.
- Ellis, N.J., Armstrong, A.C. & Groundwater-Smith, S . (2010). Reviewing action research: From impediments to implementation. In M. Devlin, J. Nagy and A. Lichtenberg (Eds.) Research and Development in Higher Education: Reshaping Higher Education, 33 (pp. 279–288). Melbourne, 6-9 July, 2010.