Adjunct Professor Phil Lambert PSM
Dean's Advisory Board Chair, Faculty of Education and Social Work
Phone: +61 2 9351
Fax: +61 2 9351
Phil Lambert has extensive experience in education as a principal, inspector, policy director, Assistant Director-General and Regional Director. He has authored and co-authored books and presented a number of papers and keynote speeches at State, national and international conferences covering a range of topics.
Phil has a MEd in Educational Administration and Management and in 2001 completed his doctorate at the University of Sydney. In 2006 he was conferred Adjunct Associate Professor. He is also a Fellow of both the Australian College of Educators and the Australian Council for Educational Leaders.
Phil has overseen a number of major policy initiatives in NSW in early childhood, primary education, rural education and Aboriginal education. These initiatives include the delivery of distance education to isolated students using satellite computer-based technologies, the NSW review of Aboriginal Education, the expansion of preschools in government schools and the class size reduction program.
Phil has been a member of a number of high level committees, taskforces and boards. He is currently a Board member of the Australian Children’s Television Foundation and the Dean’s Advisory Board at the University of Sydney. Phil served as Chairperson of the South-East Sydney and Inner West Senior Officers Group from 2004-2008 and was the foundation Chair of the Human Services and Justice Metropolitan Regional Network of Senior Government Officers.
He is Patron of the Early Childhood Education Council and a White Ribbon Day Ambassador.
Since his appointment as Regional Director, Sydney Region has recorded significant increases in student enrolments and retention, record performances in external examinations and outstanding achievements in the arts and sport.
Professional and community roles
- Regional Director, Sydney, NSW Department of Education and Training
- Lambert, P. (2016). Educational standards and Australia: A changed landscape . Revista Brasileira de Estudos Pedagogicos, 97(247), 463–471. DOI:10.1590/S2176-6681/291437381
- Lambert, P., Marks, W., Elliott, V. & Johnston-Anderson, N. (2016). Generational change in Australian school leadership: Collision path or smooth baton change. Journal of Educational Administration, 54(2), 114–134. DOI:10.1108/JEA-06-2014-0069
- Lambert, P. (2012). Gen Ys and leadership: attracting, supporting and retaining young talent (is there an app for that?). The Australian educational leader: official journal of the Australian Council for Educational Leaders (ACEL), 34(1), 29–33.
- Lambert, P. (2012). Expanding Horizons: What Can Educators in China and Australia Learn from Each Other? , Paper presented at Nanjing Normal University, China on 9 April, 2012.
- Lambert, P. (2010). School of the future, Published in 'Professional educator' (quarterly education magazine published by Australian College of Educators), 9(3), 6-12.