Dr Rosalie Pockett
Senior Lecturer, Social Work and Policy Studies
Program Director, Bachelor of Social Work
Phone: +61 2 9036 5371
Fax: +61 2 9351 3783
Social work and social policy
- Ageing and end-of-life
- Counselling, welfare and community services
- Social work in health care
practice based research, health inequalities, interprofessional education, critical reflection and practice
Dr Pockett has extensive practice experience in the health sector and prior to joining the Faculty, was the Director of Social Work at Westmead Hospital and Area Director, Western Sydney Area Health Service.
Research interests include practice-based research in the health field; health inequalities; interprofessional education; the occupational culture of social work; and the transition of new graduate social workers to professional practice.
Professional and community roles
Accredited Member of the Australian Association of Social Workers
Reviewer - Australian Social Work
The Journal of the Australian Association of Social Workers
Member of the Social Work Health Inequalities Network (SWHIN)
An international network of social workers in health and mental health
Reviewer - International Social Work
Journal of the International Association of Schools of Social Work; International Council on Social Welfare; International Federation of Social Workers.
Reviewer - Journal of Interprofessional Care
Convenor, Social Determinants of Health Special Interest Group, Sydney Health Policy Network,
Reviewer - Studies in Continuing Education
Reviewer Australasian Journal on Ageing
Published on behalf of AJA, Inc. which represents The Australian and New Zealand Society for Geriatric Medicine, Aged and Community Services Australia, Australian Council on the Ageing, and the Australian Association of Gerontology.
- 'Curriculum renewal & interprofessional health education: establishing capabilities, outcomes and standards'. Funded by: the Office for Learning & Teaching (formerly ALTC Australian Learning and Teaching Council), Health Workforce Australia and WA Health. U Syd research collaboration with: UTS (lead institution); Curtin U, Griffith U, Edith Cowan U, U Notre Dame, UQ, UWA.
- 'Coming in mid-stream' - accelerated entry programs as a social inclusion initiative: the BSW exemplar'. 2011 University of Sydney Widening Participation Grant
- 'How to actively engage pre-tertiary students (within the Compass program) with concepts about social work and social justice using an interactive format. An example of interprofessional education between social work and education students.' 2011 Faculty of Education and Social Work Teaching Inquiry Grant.
- 'Describing oncology social work practice and research'. A joint initiative with the Psycho-oncology Co-operative Research Group,(PoCoG), University of Sydney.
- 'Translating global perspectives on health inequalities research into social work education - a Pacific rim perspective.' 2011 Funded by the International Association of Schools of Social Work (IASSW) and supported by Social Work Health Inequalities Network (SWHIN)
- Book Contract with SAGE:UK. Working title: Research and theory, design and practice. Co authored with Professor Barbara Fawcett.
- ICI Education Cooperation Program. (Cooperation in higher education and training between the EU and Australia, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea). Joint Mobility Project. MPSW: The Meanings and Practices of Social Work:cross national comparisons. (2009-2012) Australian Universities participating: Deakin University Vic, Central Queensland University; University of Sydney, Curtin University WA. Research team member-University of Sydney.
Current research students
|Project title||Degree||Research student|
|Dementia and Guardianship: challenges in alternative decision making and social work practice in a health care setting. (Co-supervisor)||PhD||Margaret Mills|
|Rehabilitation after cancer treatment||DSW||Alison Pryor|
|Social work as emotional labour||DSW||Clare Stapleton|
|Contributors to the quality of life of elderly public hospital in-patients awaiting placement in residential aged care facilities.||DSW||Michael Devery|
|Social care and social enterprise: A Korean perspective||PhD||Hye Ryun Kim|
|Experiences of parent carers interacting with a multidisciplinary and cross-sectoral service network||DSW||Pam Joseph|
|Family Conferences in Stroke Rehabilitation||MEd (Research)||Yasmine Loupis|
- O'Hara, A and Pockett, R. (2011). Skills for Human Service Practice:Working with individuals, groups and communities. . (2nd ed.), South Melbourne: Oxford University Press.
- Pockett, R, Giles, R. (2008). Critical Reflection: Generating theory from practice. The graduating social work student experience. Sydney: Darlington Press.
- Pockett, R and Beddoe, E. (in press). Social Work in Health Care: An International Perspective . In , Social Work in Health Care Stockholm, Sweden: Natur & Kultur.
- Giles, R & Pockett, R . (2012). Critical Reflection and Social Work Education . In Jan Fook and Fiona Gardner (Eds.), Critical Reflection in Context Oxon, UK: Taylor and Francis.
- Pockett, Rosalie . (2009). Data-mining 'victim of crime' presentations in hospital emergency departments: a research tool with wider significance . In Bywaters, P., McLeod, E., Napier, L. (Ed.), Social Work and Global Health Inequalities:practice and policy developments (pp. 217–223), Bristol, UK: The Policy Press.
- Pockett, R. (2008). Human service professionals, violence and the workplace. In Barbara Fawcett and Fran Waugh (Eds.), Addressing Violence, Abuse and Oppression: Debates and Challenges (Vol. 1, pp. 174–186), New York London: Routledge.
- Pockett, R., Hobbs, K., Dzidowska, M., Peate, M. . (2012). Describing oncology social work practice in Australia: what is the current 'state of play'? . Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology/Psycho-Oncolgy , 129(absr(8 (supp3).
- Matthews,L., Pockett, R., Nisbet, G., Thistlethwaite, J.,Dunston, R., Lee, A., White, J. . (2011). Building capacity in Australian interprofessional health education: perspectives from key health and higher education stakeholders. Australian Health Review, 35(2), 136–140. DOI:10.1071/AH10886 0156-5788/11/020
- Pockett, R., Walker, E., Dave, K. . (2010). 'Last Orders': Dying in a Hospital Setting . Australian Social Work , 63(3), 250–265. DOI:10.1080/0312407X.2010.497928
- Pockett, Rosalie. (2010). Interprofessional Education for Practice: Some Implications for Australian Social Work . Australian Social Work , 63(2), 207–222. DOI:10.1080/03124070903060059
- Thistlethwaite, J., Lee, A., Dunston, R., Nisbet, G., Matthews, L., Pockett, R. (2009). Interprofessional developments in Australia- L-TIPP (Aus) and the Way Forward. Journal of Interprofessional Care , 23(4), 315–317. DOI:10.1080/13561820903028251
- Pockett, R. (2006). Learning from Each Other: The Social Work Role as an Integrated Part of the Hospital Disaster Response. Social Work in Health Care, 43(2-3), 131–149.
- Pockett, R., Hobbs, K., Dzidowska, M., Peate, M. . (2012). Describing oncology social work and practice in Australia: what is the current 'state of play'? . In Joint Meeting of COSA 39th Annual Scientific Meeting and IPOS 14th World Congress of Psycho-Oncology. Brisbane, Qld Australia, 13-15 November, 2012.
- Pockett, R. (2012). Conceptualising the 'social' in health and health inequalities: initiatives in Australian social work education . In Joint World Conference on Social Work and Social Development: Action and Impact. 8-12 July, 2012 Stockholm, Sweden. . Stockholm Sweden, 8-12 July, 2012.
- Pockett, R. (2011). The inclusion of health inequalities in the social work curriculum: an Australian perspective. . In Translating global perspectives on health inequalities research into social work education - a Pacific Rim perspective. University of Sydney; University of Warwick; Seoul National University and University of Auckland. . University of Sydney and On-Line Symposium, 9th November, 2011.
- Pockett, R. (2010). Putting back the 'social'. Addressing health inequalities as part of hospital social work practice: A collaborative model between practitioners and academics.. In Changing Health. 6th International Conference on Social Work in Health and Mental Health. University College Dublin, Ireland, 28 June - 2 July, 2010. .
- Pockett, R. (2010). Teaching teamwork in social work education. In Tenth Doris Siegel Memorial Colloquium 'Promoting and sustaining excellence in clinical social work practice'. Mt Sinai Medical Center New York NY USA, 23-24 June, 2010.
- Pockett, R. (2006). Victims of crime presentations in an emergency department: an unexpected profile. In 5th International Conference on Social Work in Health and Mental Health. Hong Kong, 10 – 14 December 2006.
- Interprofessional Curriculum Renewal Consortium, Australia. (Pockett, R. Project Partner - University of Sydney). (2013). Interprofessional Education: a National Audit. Report to Health Workforce Australia , Sydney, Australia.
- Dunston, Roger; Lee, Adrian; Lee, Alison; Matthews, Lynda; Nisbet, Gillian; Pockett, Rosalie; Thistlethwaite Jill; White, Jill. . (2009). Interprofessional Health Education in Australia: The Way Forward. A document prepared by Learning and Teaching for Interprofessional Practice, Australia, L-TIPP (Aus), a project co-managed by The University of Sydney and the University of Technology, Sy, .
- Pockett, R & Postle, K. (2009). International Social Work Journal Special Issue: Health Editorial and Guest Editor 52(4) July 2009, International Social Work An official journal of the International Association of Schools of Social Work; International Council on Social Welfare; International Federation of Social Workers Sage: London .