Professor Robert J. Tierney
Distinguished Visiting Professor, Beijing Normal University
Phone: +1 778 898 1477
Educational history, sociology and philosophy
- Sociology of education
Educational systems: administration, management and leadership
- International and comparative education
Research on teaching and learning
- English and literacy
Literacy education, research paradigms and rhetoric of science, assessment, professional development of educators, multimedia and cultural studies
2003 W.S Gray Citation of Merit, International Reading Association
2000 Reading Hall of Fame Inductee
1997 Recipient of Literacy Award in recognition of outstanding contributions to the Literacy of Ohio Students by the Literacy Educator and Advocacy Forum
1996 Distinguished Scholar, Edith Cowan University, Perth Western Australia
2014 International Research Contributions, Beijing Normal University
2010, Award recipient, Lifetime member, Association of Canadian Deans of Education.
2010, A British Columbia Deans of Education. Contributions to public education in British Columbia
1997, Outstanding contributions to the Literacy of Ohio Students by the Literacy Educator and Advocacy Forum
1986, Award recipient, Excellence in Teacher-Researcher Collaborations, American Association of College Teacher Educators
1985 &1986, Award recipient, Teacher Excellence Award. University of Illinois, 1985 and 1986
- Tierney, R. J. & Kang, C. (2009). Learning with portfolios - A portfolio journey in Chinese reading and writing classrooms. Beijing: Beijing Normal University Publishing Group.
- Tierney, R. J., Readance, J., & Dishner, E. (2005). (2005). Reading strategies and practices: A compendium.. (6th ed.), Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Tierney, R. J., Crumpler, T., Bond, E., and Bertelsen, C. (2003). (2003). Interactive assessment: Teachers, students and parents as partners.. Norwood, MA: Christopher Gordon Publishers, Inc..
- Rogers, T. & Tierney, R. J. (Ed.). (1994). Reading section editor for the Encyclopedia of English Studies and Teaching Language Arts.. Longman/NCTE.
- Tierney, R. J., Carter, M., & Desai, L. (1991). Portfolio assessment in the reading writing classroom.. Norwood, MA: Christopher Gordon Publishers, Inc..
- Tierney, R. J. . (1990). Improving Comprehension: A Guide for Parents. Hume Corporation.
- Tierney, R. J., Anders, P., & Mitchell, J. (Eds.). (1987). Understanding Readers' Understanding. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Anderson, R. C., Osborn, J., & Tierney, R. J. (Eds.). (1984). Learning to Read in American Schools: Basal Reader and Content Textbooks.. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Tierney, R. J., & Lapp, D. (Eds.). (1979). The National Assessment of Educational Progress in Reading.. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- Richard Beach Robert J. Tierney. (2016). Toward a theory of literacy meaning making within virtual worlds. . In S. Israel (Ed.), In S. Israel (Ed) Handbook of Research on Reading Comprehension. (2nd ed., Vol. 2, pp. 135–164), New York: Guilford.
- Robert J. Tierney. (2012). Changing histories changing literacies: making the case for Nigeria. . In O. Emejulu & I Isiugo-Abanihe. (Ed.), Cross-disciplinary perspectives in literacy and language studies. (Vol. 1, pp. 1–10), International Deployment Committee for Africa, IRA and Africa-Link Books, Owerri Nigeria.
- Tierney, R. J. (2011). Multimedia digital engagements by readers and learners. In , Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics Thousand Oaks, California: Sage.
- Tierney, R. J. (2010). Perspectives on assessment: reflections on and directions from Goodman.. In P. L. Anders (Ed.), Defying Convention, Inventing the Future in Literary Research and Practice. Essays in Tribute to Ken and Yetta Goodman New York: Routledge.
- Tierney, R. J. (2009). Literacy education 2.0: Looking through the rear view mirror as we move ahead.. In J. Hoffman & Y. Goodman (Ed.), Changing literacies for changing times : an historical perspective on the future of reading research, public policy, and classroom practices (pp. 282–300), New York: Routledge.
- O'Flahavan, J. F., & Tierney, R. J. (2008). Moving Beyond Reading and Writing in the Content Areas of Discipline-Based Inquiry.. In D. Lapp, J. Flood & N. Farnan (Ed.), Content Area Reading and Learning (3rd ed., pp. 537–552), New York: Taylor & Francis Group.
- Tierney, Robert J. (2008). Learning with Multiple Literacies: Observations of Lives Exploring Meanings, Identities, Possibilities, and Worlds.. In James Flood, Shirley Brice Heath and Dianne Lapp (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Teaching Literacy Through the Communicative and Visual Arts Volume II (pp. 101–108), New York: Taylor & Francis Group.
- Tierney, R. J. (2008). The agency and artistry of meaning makers within and across digital spaces. In Susan E. Israel, Gerald G. Duffy (Ed.), Handbook of Research on reading Comprehension (pp. 261–288), New York: Erlbaum Associates/Routledge.
- Tierney, R.J. . (2007). New literacy learning strategies for new times. In Leslie S. Rush, A. Jonathan Eakle, Allen Berger (Ed.), Secondary school literacy : what research reveals for classroom practice (pp. 21–36), Urbana, IL: NCTE/NCRE.
- Tierney, R.J. and Thome, C. (2006). Is DIBELS leading us down the wrong path?. In Kenneth S. Goodman with Alan Flurkey ... [et al.] ; foreword by P. David Pearson (Ed.), The truth about DIBELS : what it is, what it does (pp. 50–59), Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Robert J. Tierney. (in press). Populism and Literacy Consciousness in Uncertain Global Times. Journal of Literacy Research.
- Robert J. Tierney & Wei Kan. (2016). Knowledge mobilization within and across the People’s Republic of China and the United States: A cross-national study of internationalization of educational research. . American Educational Research Journal, 53(6), 1759–1791. DOI:DOI: 10.3102/0002831216678320
- Hoffman, J. V., Rogers, T, Sailors, M. & Tierney, R.J. . (2011). Multilingual practices, critical literacies, and visual culture: a focus on African Contexts. . Reading Research Quarterly, 46(4), 389–398.
- Tierney, R. J. (2009). Shaping New Literacies Research: Extrapolations From a Review of the Handbook of Research on New Literacies. Reading Research Quarterly, 44(3), 322–339. DOI:dx.doi.org/10.1598/RRQ.44.3.5
- Tierney, R. J. (2008). Reading and students with disabilities: searching for better guidance. Balanced Reading Instruction (Special Issue Fall 2008), 15(2), 89–97.
- Tierney, R. J., Bond, E. & Bresler, J. (2006). Examining Literate Lives as Students Engage With Multiple Literacies. Theory into Practice (Special Issue), 45(4), 359–367. DOI:10.1207/s15430421tip4504_10
- Collins, A. & Tierney, R. J. (2006). Teacher Education Accord: Values and Ideals of the Teaching Profession in Canada. Education Canada, 46(4), 73–75.
- Tierney, R. J. (2006). Global/Cultural Teachers Creating Possibilities: Reading Worlds, Reading Selves, and Learning to Teach. Pedagogies: an international journal, 1(1), 77–87.
- Tierney, R. J. & Rogers, T. (2004). Process/content/design/critique: Generative and dynamic evaluation in a digital world . The Reading Teacher, 58(2), 218–221.
- Tierney, R. J. (2001). An ethical chasm: jurisdiction, jurisprudence, and the literacy profession: a fictional drama illustrates the complexity of politics in the literacy field. A teacher educator is caught between her own ethics and the prevailing trends.. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 45(4), 260–276.
- Robert J. Tierney. (2015). Integrative Research Review : Mapping the Challenges and Changes to Literacy Research., In the proceedings of the sixty-third annual proceedings of the Literacy Research Association .