Honorary Professor Susan Groundwater-Smith
Honorary Professor, Division of Professional Learning
Phone: +61 2 9351 6327
Fax: +61 2 9559 7174
Educational systems: administration, management and leadership
- Preschool, primary and secondary
Research on teaching and learning
- Teacher education and professional learning
Teacher professional learning, student voice, mixed methods in school inquiry
Susan Groundwater-Smith is the convenor of the Coalition of Knowledge Building Schools whose purpose is to engage in ongoing, systematic practitioner inquiry. She has supported a large number of other schools as an academic partner introducing them to innovative methods of inquiry with a particular emphasis upon student voice and the use of images in capturing young people's perspectives on their learning experiences. Susan collaborates with the Audience Research Unit at the Australian Museum assisting in consultation with students and teachers regarding actual and planned exhibitions. She works with a range of universities in Australia, the United Kingdom and The Netherlands.
- Groundwater-Smith, S., Ewing, R. & Le Cornu, R. (2011). Teaching: Challenges and Dilemmas. (4th ed.), Melbourne: Cengage Learning Australia.
- Campbell, A. & Groundwater-Smith, S. (Eds.). (2010). Action Research in Education. Los Angeles: Sage Publications.
- Campbell, A. & Groundwater-Smith (Eds). (2010). Connecting Inquiry and Professional Learning in Education. London: Routledge.
- Groundwater-Smith, S., Brennan, M., McFadden, M., Mitchell, J. & Munns, G. (2009). Secondary Schooling in a Changing World. (2nd ed.), Melbourne: Cengage.
- Groundwater-Smith, S. & Mockler, N. (2009). Teacher Professional Learning in an Age of Compliance: Mind the Gap. Rotterdam: Springer.
- Campbell, A. & Groundwater-Smith, S. (2007). An Ethical Approach to Practitioner Research: Dealing with Issues and Dilemmas in Action Research . New York: Routledge.
- Groundwater-Smith, S., Mitchell, J. & Mockler, N. (2007). Learning in the Middle Years: More than a Transition. Melbourne: Thomson Learning.
- Groundwater-Smith, S., Ewing, R. & Le Cornu, R. (2006). Teaching: Challenges and Dilemmas. (3rd ed.), Melbourne: Thomson.
- Groundwater-Smith, S. & Irwin, J. (2011). Action Research in Education and Social Work. In Markauskaite, L., Freebody, P. & Irwin, J. (Ed.), Methodological Choice and Design: Scholarship, Policy and Practice in Social and Educational Research (pp. 57–69), New York: Springer.
- Groundwater-Smith, S. (2009). Cooperative Change Management through Practitioner Inquiry. In B. Somekh & S. Noffke (Ed.), Handbook of Educational Action Research (pp. 186–194), London: Sage Publications.
- Groundwater-Smith, S. & Mockler, N. (2008). Ethics in Practitioner Research: an Issue of Quality. In J. Furlong & A. Oancea (Ed.), Assessing Quality in Applied and Practice-Based Research (pp. 79–92), London: Routledge.