Dr Tony Loughland
BTch(UTS), BEd(Hons)(UTS), PhD(UTS)
Director of Professional Experience
Phone: +61 2 9351 6287
Fax: +61 2 9351 6307
Research on teaching and learning
- Teacher education and professional learning
Tony Loughland began his career as a primary school teacher interested in drama and storytelling and became a PhD in environmental education. Tony cannot explain how this happened but the common thread is narrative.
The narrative thread wound its way into the practices of teacher education with a keen focus on professional experience.
Professional and community roles
International Advisory Panel, Cambridge Journal of Education
- Design research of a professional learning course for supervising teachers
Current research students
|Project title||Degree||Research student|
|The significance of text in the teaching of reading: A case study of the development of an Indigenous community writers’ resource.||PhD||Kathleen Rushton|
|Exceeding the National Quality Standard in Long Day Care Settings: A behind the scenes study of the hidden work of educators in high quality services.||PhD||Alicia Olsen|
- Loughland, T. (2009). Enhancing Communication with Effective Resources. In Ewing, R. Lowrie, T. Higgs, J. (Ed.), Teaching and Communicating. Rethinking Professional Experiences. Melbourne: Oxford University Press.
- Loughland, T. Walker, K. (1998). Introduction to Sociology. In Allen, J. (Ed.), Sociology: Practice and Possibilities Wentworth Falls: Social Science Press.
- Loughland, T. Kilpatrick, L. (in press). Formative Assessment in Primary Science. Education 3-13. . DOI:10.1080/03004279.2013.767850
- Loughland, T. Kilpatrick, L. (2012). Looking for the Interactive in IWBs: critical literacy and pedagogical interactivity in a year one classroom. Scan, 31(August), 37–45.
- Loughland, T. Bowen, M. (2012). Action Research Built on Uncertain Foundations: The Internship and Action-Research in a Graduate Teaching Degree. McGill Journal of Education, 47(3), 345–358.
- Loughland, T. (2012). Teacher Professional Learning in Pursuit of the Common Good: A Discussion of the Role of Demonstration Schools in Teacher Education . McGill Journal of Education, 47(1), 53–68.
- Loughland, A. (2007). Philosophical Inquiry as a Pedagogy About Rather than For Sustainability. The Social Educator, 25(2), 24–31.
- Loughland, A, Healey, D. (2004). Two Cubed: A rationale for creating a community of professional learners at Charles Sturt University Dubbo. Education in Rural Australia.
- Loughland, A, Reid, A. (2003). Factors Influencing Young People's Conceptions of Environment.. Environmental Education Research, , 3–19.
- Loughland, A, Meyenn, B. (2003). Information Technology across the Teacher Education Curriculum: More Claims than Evidence. Change: Transformations in Education.
- Loughland, A, Walker, K. (2003). The Socio-Cultural Influences on Environmental Understandings of Australian School Students: A Response to Rickinson. Environmental Education Research.
- Loughland, A, Reid, A, Petocz, P. (2002). Young People's Conception of Environment: A Phenomenographic analysis. Environmental Education Research.
- Loughland, A. (2008). An Exploratory Study of the Pedagogical Use of Moodle to Scaffold Learning in a Senior Secondary Class. In Loughland T Proceedings of the Authentic Assessment Practices for Student Learning Conference (pp. 19–34). Sydney, 16-17 August, 2007.
- Loughland, A. (2004). Dangerous Orbits: Satellite campuses and educational ideologies.. In McLeod, S. Making Spaces: Regenerating the Profession Conference Proceedings of ATEA annual conference. Bathurst, July 3-7 2004.
- Loughland, A, Parkes, R. (2004). Backward mapping and the big idea: employing social constructionist theory in curriculum planning. . In McLeod, S. Making Spaces: Regenerating the Profession Conference Proceedings of ATEA annual conference. Bathurst, July 3-7 2004.
- Loughland, A, Reid, A. (2003). Language for Practice: becoming explicit about teaching and learning. In Conference Proceedings of the joint International Council on Education for Teaching and Australian Teaching Education Association Conference.
- Loughland, A. (2003). The Importance of Adults¿ Conceptions of the Environment for Education. In Jeffery, Peter AARE 2002 Conference Papers . Brisbane, 1-5 December, 2002.
- Loughland, A. (2002). In Quest of Integration: ICT and Pre-Service Teacher Education in Schools in Challenging Futures Conference Proceedings. In In Quest of Integration: ICT and Pre-Service Teacher Education in Schools in Challenging Futures.
- Loughland, A. (2002). Papers from the Australian Teaching Education Association Annual Conference. In Papers from the Australian Teaching Education Association Annual Conference.