Professor Tony Vinson
Chair, Early Childhood Advisory Committee
Phone: 041203 5077
Fax: +61 2 9351 5027
My main research interests at present are identifying and measuring the signs of a well-functioning community; social memory and its impact on policy; the City of Goulburn in the second half of the 19th Century; measuring Australia's social progress; education and community wellbeing (based on Mildura). My principal community involvements are - the role of 'critical friend' to the Australian Social Inclusion Board; being an active patron of Mallee Family Care in Mildura; and research advisor to Jesuit Social Services in Victoria.
Tony Vinson is also Emeritus Professor in the School of Social Sciences and International Studies, University of New South Wales.
- 1971-1975 Foundation Director, NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research.
- 1975-1979 Professor of Behavioural Science in Medicine, University of Newcastle.
- 1979-1981 Head, NSW Department of Corrections.
- 1981- 1995 Professor of Social Work and Dean, Faculty of Professional Studies, UNSW.
- 2001-2002 Chair, Independent Inquiry into NSW Public Education.
- 2008 Founding member, Australian Social Inclusion Board.
- Vinson, T. & Rawsthorne, M. (2013). Lifting our Gaze: The Community Appraisal and Strengthening Framework. Champaign, Illinois: Common Ground Publishing.
- Vinson, T. (2012). Tenant in the Cathedral: The Lord Bishop and the Count. Melbourne: Australian Scholarly Publishing.
- Vinson, T. (2007). Dropping Off the Edge. The Distribution of Disadvantage in Australia. Richmond, Australia: Jesuit Social Services/Catholic Social Services Australia.
- Vinson, T. (2008). The reality of locational social disadvantage: what could help to reduce its ill-effects?. In Bottrell D and Meagher G (Eds.), Communities and change: selected papers (Vol. 1, pp. 3–27), Sydney: Sydney University Press.
- Vinson, T. & Ericson, M. (in press). The social dimensions of happiness and life satisfaction of Australians: Evidence from the World Values Survey. International Journal of Social Welfare. DOI:10.1111/ijsw.12062
- Vinson, T. (2007). The web of social disadvantage. Developing Practice (online), 19, 56–65.
- Rawsthorne, M, Vinson, T. (2007). 'The Most Liveable Place in Australia': The role of social indicators in realising the vision. New Community Quarterly, 5(4), 3–10.
- Vinson, T, McDonnell, D. (2007). War narratives. Applied Theatre Researcher, 8, 1–11.
- Vinson, T., Brown, N., Graham, K. & Stanley, F. (2009). A compendium of Social Inclusion Indicators. How's Australia Faring? (Report produced for the Australian Government), .