DipTeach(UNE), BEd(UNE), PostgradCertResearchMethods(Macquarie)
Lecturer in ICT in education
First Year Coordinator, BEd (Primary)
Teaching Teachers for the Future Project Coordinator
Phone: +61 2 9351 3512
Fax: +61 2 9351 2606
Research on teaching and learning
- Teacher education and professional learning
Vilma lectures in ICT in the Bachelor of Education and Master of Teaching programs. In recent years, she has systematically redesigned core technology units to capture some of the essential qualities of knowledge required by teachers for technology integration in their teaching (Mishra and Koehler, 2006). She has also systematically targeted change in ICT units of study by enabling pre-service teachers to achieve and demonstrate competence in the effective and innovative uses of ICT in education. Through her work, she hopes to improve student learning, through embedding ICT in education curriculum, pedagogies, assessment, and professional experience.
Prior to her appointment at the University of Sydney, Vilma was Senior Curriculum Officer for Primary Education at the NSW Board of Studies. She is a former primary school teacher with a broad range of leadership experience in primary education and professional learning. She is currently completing her PhD studies at Macquarie University. Vilma’s doctoral research investigates curriculum development processes and the role of stakeholders.
Vilma's recent research experience has involved using formative evaluation in the design and development of web-based learning resources, and investigating the impact of the new ICT curriculum on pre-service teachers’ technical, pedagogical and content knowledge (TPACK). While at the NSW Board of Studies her research involved two state wide consultation processes with a range of key stakeholder groups. She has worked on the development of the Primary Curriculum Foundation Statements (2005), responding to the Eltis Review in 2004, the Mathematics K-6 syllabus support documents, and the review of primary curriculum syllabuses in 2003.
Faculty of Education and Social Work Teaching Excellence Award 2010
Professional Teachers' Council NSW Outstanding professional service award - Early Childhood Education Council, NSW. 2008
Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Service, Australian College of Educators, NSW. 2007.
Professional and community roles
Member of Early Childhood Education Council, NSW
Member of Australian College of Educators
Secretary, Australian College of Educators, North Harbour Region
- Project Coordinator- Teaching Teachers for the Future (TTF). TTF project is part of the Australian Federal Government’s Digital Education Revolution. This project involves 39 Australian universities participating in a national initiative to integrate ICTs into the Australian curriculum areas- English, Mathematics, Science and History, using TPACK as a framework.
- Redesigning preservice teachers’ ICT capabilities’ development and assessment through the use of multimedia interactive technologies and the Development of a new ICT cross-curriculum framework (2007-2008)
- Curriculum redesign for units of studyemeise4of ICTs in the Masters of Teaching and Bahelo of Education pre-service teacher programs. 2009-2013
- Kennedy-Clark, S., Galstaun, V. & Anderson, K. (2013). Computer-supported inquiry learning: Using online games in a pre-service teacher training course. . In Y. Baek & N. Whitton (Ed.), Cases on digital game-based learning: Methods, models and strategies. IGI-Global.
- Anderson, K., Kennedy-Clark, S., Sutherland, L. & Galstaun, V. . (in press). iScience: Using wikis for a computer-supported inquiry learning project for science students. . International Journal of innovation in Science and Mathematics..
- Kennedy-Clark, S., Galstaun, V., Parisio, M. & Anderson, K. . (2012). Learning by Collaborative Design and Evaluation. In International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS). (pp. 575–576). Sydney, 2-6 July.
- Anderson, K., Kennedy-Clark, S., & Galstaun, V. . (2012). Using Video-Feedback and Annotations to develop ICT Competency in Pre-service Teacher Education. . In AARE-APERA . Sydney, 2-6 December.
- Galstaun, V., Kennedy-Clark, S., Anderson, K. . (2012). Using TPACK to inform curriculum redesign in pre-service teacher education courses. . In Australian Computers in Education Conference . Wesley College, South Perth, 2-5 October.
- Anderson, K., Kennedy-Clark, S., Sutherland, L. & Galstaun, V. (2011). iScience: Using wikis for a computer-supported inquiry learning project for science students. . In In The Australian Conference on Science and Mathematics Education (The 17th UniServe Science Conference).. Melbourne, September 28-30. .
- Kennedy-Clark, S., Galstaun, V. & Anderson, K. (2011). Using game-based inquiry learning to meet the changing directions of science education. . In In Changing Demands, Changing Directions, ASCILITE. . Hobart, December 4 - 7. .
- Galstaun, V., Kennedy-Clark, S. & Hu, C. (2011). The Impact of TPACK on Pre-Service Teacher Confidence in Embedding ICT into Curriculum Areas.. In In ED-Media 2011 World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications.. Lisbon, June 27 - 4 July. .
- Kennedy-Clark, S., Galstaun, V., & Anderson, K. . (2011). Digital Naives: Embedding ICT into pre-service teacher curriculum areas.. In Researching Across Boundaries, AARE International Research in Education Conference.. Hobart, 27 November – 1 December. .
- Galstaun, V., Kennedy-Clark, S. & Anderson, K. (2011). Building ICT Competency into a Curriculum: The role of key stakeholders in embedding ICT into a pre-service teacher curricula.. In Researching Across Boundaries, AARE International Research in Education Conference. . Hobart, 27 November – 1 December. .
- Hu,C., Galstaun, V., & Wong, W. (2011). Learning Technology by Collaborative Design and Evaluation. In In 9th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning. CSCL2011: Connecting computer supported collaborative learning to policy and practice. Hong Kong, July 4 - 8. .
- Hu, C., & Fyfe, V. (2010). (2010). Impact of a new curriculum on pre-service teachers’ Technical, Pedagogical and Content Knowledge (TPACK). . In ASCILITE ASCILITE, 2010, Curriculum, technology, and transformation for an unknown future. (pp. 184–189). Sydney, Australia:, December 5- 8.
- Hu, C., Wong, W.Y., Fyfe, V. & Chan, H. (2010). Formative Evaluation via Technology-Mediated Peer Assessment. . In Chesapeake, VA: AACE. Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications (pp. 1508–1513). Toronto, Canada, June 29- July 2, 2010 .
- Hu, C., Wong, W.Y., Fyfe, V. & Chan, H. (2010). . (2010). Use EVA to faciliate preservice teacher peer assessment. . In C. Crawford et al. Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2010 (pp. 3257–3264). San Diego, USA, March 29-April 2, 2010.
- Galstaun, V., Kennedy-Clark, S., Markauskaite, L., Goodyear, P., & Bibi, S. . (2011). Teaching Teachers for the Future: Exploring the different interpretations, applications and experiences of TPACK. , In Changing Demands, Changing Directions. Ascilite, Hobart, 4-7 December..
- Galstaun, V., Kennedy-Clark, S., & Anderson, K. . (2011). TPACK in pre-service teacher education, Centre for Computer Supported Learning and Cognition Research Fest 2011, University of Sydney, 4 November.