Dr Yeow-Tong Chia
BA(Hons)(NU Singapore), MEdMan(UWA), PhD(Tor)
Lecturer, History Curriculum Education
Phone: +61 2 9351 4699
Fax: +61 2 9351 5027
Educational history, sociology and philosophy
- History of education
Educational systems: administration, management and leadership
- International and comparative education
Research on teaching and learning
- Social sciences, including civics
History curriculum, citizenship education, history, state formation, comparative and international education
Dr. Yeow-Tong Chia is a Lecturer in History Curriculum Education at the University of Sydney, where he teaches History Curriculum units in the combined degree and the Master of Teaching programs.
Yeow-Tong completed his Ph.D. from the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto in the fields of history of education as well as comparative, international and development education. His research examined the role of education in the formation of the Singapore developmental state, in which he explored the interconnections between changes in history, civics and social studies curricula, as well as the politics of nation building.
His other research interests include history education and citizenship education in Singapore and Australia, the teaching of Chinese history in Ontario’s high schools, Chinese Canadian history in Canadian history education, and education and developmental state formation.
(2012) University of Macau Multi-Year Research Grant Level I project, "Academic Profession under the Impact of University Internationalization: A Case Study in Macau" (MOP 76,900) Principal investigator: Dr. Yan Wang (UMacau), Co-investigators: Dr. Yeow-Tong Chia (USyd), Dr. Min-Chuan Sung (UMacau), Dr. Peggy Vong (UMacau)
(April 2010) Berta Vigil Laden Travel Fund for AERA 2010 Conference (CAD $750)
(2009) Lee Kong Chian Research Fellowship (SGD $9,600)
- Academic Profession under the Impact of University Internationalization: A Case Study in Macau. Co-investigators: Dr. Yeow-Tong Chia (USyd), Dr. Min-Chuan Sung (UMacau), Dr. Peggy Vong (UMacau), Principal investigator: Dr. Yan Wang (UMacau)
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (in press). State Formation and Nation Building through Education: The Origins and Introduction of the “National Education” program in Singapore. In James Williams (Ed.), (Re)Constructing Memory: School Textbooks, Identity, and the Pedagogies and Politics of Imagining Community Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (2012). Historicizing Comparative and International Education, and Internationalizing History of Education: A Personal Reflection on Ruth Hayhoe’s Call for Cultural Dialogue. In Karen Mundy, Qiang Zha (Ed.), Education and Global Cultural Dialogue: A Tribute to Ruth Hayhoe (pp. 69–82), New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (2012). What is National Education? The origins and introduction of the “National Education” programme in Singapore. In Jason Tan (Ed.), Education in Singapore: Taking Stock, Looking Forward (pp. 3–16), Singapore: Pearson.
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (in press). Through the “Western” gaze: Chinese History in Ontario High School World History Syllabus and textbooks, 1947 to c. 1980s. History of Education Review.
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (2012). History Education for Nation Building and State Formation: The case of Singapore. Citizenship Teaching and Learning, 7(2), 191–207. DOI:10.1386/ctl.7.2.191_1
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (2011). The Elusive Goal of Nation Building: Asian/ Confucian Values and Citizenship Education in Singapore During The 1980s. British Journal of Educational Studies, 59(4), 383–402.
- Yan Wang, Yeow-Tong Chia, Min Chuan Sung, Keang Ieng Vong. (2012). Academic Profession under university internationalization: A Case Study in Macau. In 2012 joint International Conference of the Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) and the Asia Pacific Educational Research Association (APERA). University of Sydney, 2-6 December 2012.
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (2012). Education and the Advent of the Singapore Developmental State, 1965 - c.1980. In Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA) 19th Biennial Conference 2012. University of Western Sydney, 11-13 July 2012.
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (2012). Through the Western gaze: Chinese History in Ontario High School World History Curriculum and Textbooks, 1947 to 1990. In Buildings Books and Blackboards:Intersecting Narratives Conference . Melbourne, 28 November - 1 December 2012.
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (2012). Internationalization of Higher Education: The importance of context and its implications for Asian/Chinese universities in an era of globalisation. In 2012 joint International Conference of the Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) and the Asia Pacific Educational Research Association (APERA). University of Sydney, 2-6 December 2012.
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (2012). Through the Western gaze: Chinese History in Ontario High School World History Curriculum and textbooks, 1947 to 1990. In American Educational Research Association 2012 Annual Meeting. Vancouver, B. C., Canada, 13-17 April 2012.
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (2012). Overcoming the Odds: Education and the Rise of the Singapore Developmental State, 1965-c.1980. In Association for Asian Studies 2012 Annual Conference. Toronto, Canada, 15-18 March 2012.
- Lu, Leqin and Chia, Yeow Tong. (2011). Chinese Head Tax and Exclusion Act: Resource Guide for Asian Heritage Month, Chinese Canadian National Council Toronto Chapter.
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (2011). What is National Education in Singapore?, Berita (Newsletter of the Malaysia/Singapore Brunei Study Group of the Association for Asian Studies), Autumn 2011 issue, pp. 15-19.
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (2010). Education for Living: Epitome of civics education?, BiblioAsia vol. 6, issue 3, pp. 10-14.
- Chia, Yeow Tong. (2005). Book Review: Citizenship Education in Asia and the Pacific: Concepts and Issues. , International Journal of Citizenship and Teacher Education Vol 1, no. 2, pp. 100-101.