Dr Lesley Laing
BSW(Hons)(UNSW), PhD(UNSW), GradCertEducationalStudies(Sydney)
Senior Lecturer, Undergraduate and Pre-service Programs
A/Program Director, BSW
Phone: +61 2 9351 4091
Fax: +61 2 9351 3783
Social work and social policy
- Child young people: safety and well-being
- Social policy
- Violence against women and children
Prior to joining the Faculty, Lesley practised social work in the fields of community health, child and family mental health and child protection. She was Director of the Education Centre Against Violence, where she was responsible for the development of statewide training programs for health workers in responding to adult and child sexual assault, domestic violence and child abuse and neglect. In 2000, she established the Australian Domestic and Family Violence Clearinghouse at the University of New South Wales.
Faculty of Education and Social Work Teaching Excellence Award 2003
Faculty of Education and Social Work Teaching Excellence Award 2009
Edna Ryan Award for a special contribution to the education of women and girls (2008)
Professional and community roles
Member, Social Work and Health Inequalities Network
Member, NSW Domestic Violence Deaths Review Team (DVDRT)
White Ribbon Policy and Research Reference Group
- A study of women's experiences in obtaining an Apprehended Domestic Violence Order, funded by the NSW Law and Justice Foundation
- Pro-arrest policies, dual arrest and the policing of domestic violence: Building the knowledge - Collaborative research with NSW Police Force, UTS and UNSW Law Schools, NSW Domestic Violence Coalition
Current research students
|Project title||Degree||Research student|
|The experience of fathering for men who are domestically violent||PhD||Susan Heward Belle|
|Cultural context and child protection: a comparative study of South Korea and NSW.||PhD||Su Kyung Kim|
|Embracing uncertainty: How do social workers deal with uncertainty at end of life? (Associate supervisor)||DSW||Stephanie Wade|
|Theories-practices in social work student supervision: a qualitative study of how field educators assist students to explore the theory-practice relationship.||PhD||Ann Callen|
|Maternal distress following disclosure of child sexual assault (working title).||DSW||Fleur Phillips|
|Every piece of the puzzle matters: The missing piece - A qualitative study exploring the help-seeking experiences of women with physical disability who live with or have lived with violence and abuse.||PhD||Karen Jordan|
|Domestic violence among immigrant women in Australia: case of Muslim immigrant women, implication of intersectional theory.||PhD||Nafiseh Ghafournia|
|An analysis of psychiatric trauma theory relating to adolescent girls who have experienced abuse.(Associate supervisor)||PhD||Emma Tseris|
|Responding effectively to crisis, trauma and violence: An exploration of Trauma Informed Care in Sydney based crisis accommodation services||PhD||Leticia Funston|
|Responding to adolescent boys who have been sexually assaulted: understanding risk and maintaining connection||PhD||Elizabeth McNamara|
- Laing, L. Humphreys, C. with Cavanagh, K. (2013). Social Work and Domestic Violence: Developing Critical and Reflective Practice. London: Sage Publications.
- Breckenridge, J. and Laing, L. (Eds) . (1999). Challenging Silence: Innovative Responses to Sexual and Domestic Violence. Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
- Laing, L. and Rawsthorne, M. (2011). Research Skills for Practitioners. In O'Hara, A. & Pockett, R. (Ed.), Skills for Human Service Practice (2nd ed., pp. 326–338), South Melbourne, Victoria: Oxford.
- Laing, L. (2009). Violence Abuse and Health. In Bywaters, P., McLeod, E. and Napier, L. (Eds.), Social Work and Global Health Inequalities (pp. 105–117), Bristol: The Policy Press.
- Laing, L. (2008). 'Violence', criminal justice, the law, policy and practice. In Barbara Fawcett and Fran Waugh (Eds.), Addressing Violence, Abuse and Oppression: Debates and Challenges (pp. 67–79), New York London: Routledge.
- Laing, L. (2004). Children, Young People and Domestic Violence: a discussion paper for frontline service providers and educators. In C. Ralfs, J. Cunningham, K. Jennings, J. Breckenridge & P. Carden (Ed.), Point of Contact: Responding to children living with family and domestic violence (Vol. 3, pp. 17–33), Canberra: Partnerships Against Domestic Violence, Australian Government.
- Laing, L., Irwin, J, & Toivonen, C . (2012). Across the Divide: Using research to enhance collaboration between mental health and domestic violence services. Australian Social Work, 65(1), 120–135. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/031240
- Laing,L., Irwin, J., and Toivonen, C. (2010). Women’s Stories of Collaboration Between Domestic Violence and Mental Health Services. Communities, Children and Families, 5(2), 16–28.
- Laing, L. (2008). A Perilous Journey: Seeking protection in the aftermath of domestic violence. Communities Children and Families Australia, 3(2), 19–28.
- Laing, L. and Toivonen, C. (2012). Evaluation of the Green Valley Liverpool Domestic Violence Service: Walking with Women on their Journey away from Violence, .
- Laing, L. (2011). "They should have this in every court": Evaluation of the Women's Family Law Support Service, .
- Laing, L. (2010). No way to live: Women’s experiences of negotiating the family law system in the context of domestic violence, .
- Laing, Lesley Toivonen, Cherie. (2010). Bridging the Gap: Evaluation of the Domestic Violence And Mental Health Pilot Project -Joan Harrison Support Services For Women, .
- Laing, L., Toivonen, C., Irwin, J., & Napier, L. (2010). “They Never Asked Me Anything About That”: The Stories of Women who Experience Domestic Violence and Mental Health Concerns/Illness , .
- Laing, L., Mikulsky, J, & Kennaugh, C. . (2006). Evaluation of New St Adolescent Service, Consultancy Report for Sydney West Area Health Service, .
- Laing, L. Irwin, J. & Kennaugh, C. . (2005). Evaluation of the Green Valley Domestic Violence Service, Sydney: Consultancy Report for South Western Sydney Area Health Service. 98 pages ISBN: 1 86487 732 4 , .
- Laing, L. (2004). Risk Assessment in Domestic Violence , Topic Paper, Australian Domestic and Family violence Clearinghouse, UNSW, Sydney. Electronic Publication: .
- Laing, L. (2003). Routine Screening for Domestic Violence , Topic Paper, Australian Domestic and Family violence Clearinghouse, UNSW, Sydney. .
- Laing, L. (2002). Responding to Men who Perpetrate Domestic Violence: Controversies, Interventions and Challenges', , Issues paper 7, Australian Domestic and Family Violence Clearinghouse, UNSW, Sydney .
- Laing, L. (2000). Children, Young People and Domestic Violence , Issues Paper 2, Australian Domestic and Family Violence Clearinghouse, UNSW, Sydney .