Dr Kevin Laws
BA(Hons)(Sydney), MA(Hons)(Sydney), EdD(UGA)
Convenor, Developing Educational Professionals in Southeast Asia
Honorary Senior Lecturer
Phone: +61 2 9351 6396
Building.Room: Education Buildi.913
Educational systems: administration, management and leadership
- Preschool, primary and secondary
- Higher education
- International and comparative education
Organisational culture and change, Program evaluation, Organisational learning, Leadership, International education, Continuing professional development of teachers and teacher educators in Asia and Pacific region
As Director of International Students, I coordinate a welcome-and-induction program for new international students each semester. I am also a point of contact for students with academic issues confronting the. I mentor AusAID scholarship students in the faculty.
As Director of International Projects, I actively seek opportunities for the funding of projects within the faculty, for example, Australian Leadership Awards Fellowships, Endeavour Awards and International Project Development Fund awards. I also plan and arrange opportunities for education students to have short-trm international experiences through English Camps, conducted during student vacations, in Thailand, Republic of Korea, Indonesia and China.
ALAF funding for Re-forming In-service Teachers' Professional Development in South-east Asia 2010
Project involved 4 participants (2 teacher educators and 2 teachers) from universities in Vietnam, Laos, Indonesia and Thailand) attending a 2 week workshop in Sydney followed up by the implementation of models of professional development in the home countries. An evaluation workshop was held in Vietnam in June 2011.
ALAF funding for Re-forming Inital Teacher Education Programs in the Mekong Delta Region of Vietnam 2008
The Dean, Vice Deans and Heads of each Department in the School of Education at Can Tho University attended a two week workshop in Sydney and returned to Vietnam to implement the results of their work in Sydney.
Current research students
|Project title||Degree||Research student|
|Making methodology work: an examination of the use of professional development in implementing and establishing change in schools. (Associate supervisor)||PhD||Jennifer Petschler|
|An ethnographic study of decision making by administrators at a private K-12 school in India.||EdD||Vijai Rajagopal|
|Understanding leadership complexity in the 21st century - exploring educational leadership in four New South Wales public schools. (Supervisor)||PhD||Shanti Clements|
|Transformation with the concept of global citizenship in higher education: a case study||PhD||Ying Michelle Shang|
|An Investigation into the leadership of the Dean in private universities in the Mekong Delta Region of Vietnam.||PhD||Huu Ly Le|
|Pedagogy, Primary School Leadership and School Culture||PhD||Christine Grice|
|Higher education teachers' beliefs about pedagogy and how compulsory teacher training influences their beliefs and teaching practice: case studies from the Mekong Delta Region, Viet Nam. (Co-supervisor)||PhD||Su Nguyen|
- Kevin Laws, Lesley Harbon, Ruth Fielding (eds). (2011). Teacher Professional development in Southeast Asia: Perspectives from Indonesia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam.. Sydney: Kevin Laws, Lesley Harbon, Ruth Fielding.
- Nguyen Hong Nam,Le Ngoc Hoa, Kevin Laws. (2011). Continuing professional development in primary schools: The effect of coaching on the professional development of primary school teachers in Vietnam.. In Kevin Laws, Lesley Harbon, Ruth Fielding (Ed.), Teacher Professional Development in Southeast Asia: Perspectives from Indonesia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam (pp. 114–135), Sydney: Kevin Laws, Lesley Harbon, Ruth Fielding.
- Trinh Quoc Lap, Chau Ngo Minh, Kevin Laws. (2011). The impact of coachig on in-service teachers' professionalism in developing and using evaluative questions in Vietnamese secondary education. In Kevin Laws, Lesley Harbon, Ruth Fielding (Ed.), Teacher Professional Development in Southeast Asia: Perspectives from Indonesia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam (pp. 92–113), Sydney: Kevin Laws, Lesley Harbon, Ruth Fielding.
- Kevin Laws. (2011). Capacity building in schools through the professional development of teachers. In Kevin Laws, Lesley Harbon, Ruth Fielding (Ed.), Teacher Professional Development in Southeast Asia: Pers[pectives from Indonesia. Laos, Thailand and Vietnam. (pp. 13–24), Sydney: Kevin Laws, Lesley Harbon, Ruth Fielding.
- Kevin Laws et al. (2010). Global citizenship and the internationalised classoom: what students think. In Fran Waugh & Lindsey Napier (Ed.), Internationalising Learning and Teaching in Academic Settings: Engagement, Collaboration and Sutainability (pp. 69–86), Sydney: The University of Sydney.
- Kevin Laws and Robert McLeod. (2009). Retaining organizational knowledge: Learning histories revisited. In James Sheffield (Ed.), Systemic Development: Local Solutions in a Global Environment (pp. 669–678), USA: ISCE Publishing.
- Julia Gobel and Kevin Laws. (2009). Orgaizational systeme: why emotions should be taken into account. In James Sheffield (Ed.), Systemic Development: Local Solutions in a Global Environment (pp. 423–432), USA: ISCE Publishing.
- Laws, K. (2007). The Internationalisation of Australian Higher Education: Developments and Issues. In S. Krishna (Ed.), The Internationalization of Higher Education. Perspectives and Country Experiences (pp. 197–211), Hyderabad, India: ICFAI University Press.
- Trinh Quoc Lap Kevin Laws. (2010). Facilitating professional development through developing a learning community in an international collaborative partnership (in Vietnamese). Ho Chi Minh City Journal of Science Educational Issues, 19, 130–139.
- Kevin Laws. (2011). Leading collaborative multi-nation professional development projects. In Exploring Leadership and Learning Theories Asia 2011.
- Kevin Laws. (2009). Educating for a sustainable future: a snapshot of marine education in Australia. In National Taiwan Ocean University The International Conference on Marine Education (pp. 35–68). Taiwan, 8-9 October 2009.
- Kevin Laws and Lap Trinh. (2009). Development of teacher educators: a cross cultural story.. In Jane Mitchell & Louise Hard Teacher Education Crossing Borders; Cultures, Contexts, Communities, Curriculum. Albury, NSW, 28 June- 1 July, 2009.
- Laws, K, McLeod, R. (2007). Retaining Organisational Knowledge: Learning Histories Revisited. In J. Sheffield;K. Fielden 13th Annual Australia and New Zealand Systems (ANZSYS) Conference "Systemic Development: Local Solutions in a Global Environment" (pp. 1–9). Auckland, NZ, 2-5th Dec, 2007.
- Goebel, J, Laws, K. (2007). Organizational Systems: Why Emotions Should Be Taken Into Account. In J. Sheffield;K. Fielden 13th Annual Australia and New Zealand Systems (ANZSYS) Conference "Systemic Development: Local Solutions in a Global Environment" (pp. 1–10). Auckland, NZ, 2-5th Dec, 2007.
- Kevin Laws. (2009). Global awareness, global competence, global citizenship?, Civil Servant Development Institute, Taipei ROC (7 October, 2009).