Dr Rosalie Pockett
Honorary Senior Lecturer
Phone: +61 2 9036 5371
Fax: +61 2 9351 3783
Social work and social policy
- Ageing and end-of-life
- Counselling, welfare and community services
- Social work in health care
practice based research, health inequalities, interprofessional education, critical reflection and practice
Dr Pockett has extensive practice experience in the health sector.
Research interests include practice-based research in the health field; health inequalities; interprofessional education; the occupational culture of social work; and the transition of new graduate social workers to professional practice.
Professional and community roles
Member of the Australian Association of Social Workers
Member of the Social Work Health Inequalities Network (SWHIN)
An international network of social workers in health and mental health
Member of the Editorial Board Australian Social Work
The Journal of the Australian Association of Social Workers
- Investigating oncology social work practice and research. A joint initiative with the Psycho-oncology Co-operative Research Group,(PoCoG), University of Sydney.
Current research students
|Project title||Degree||Research student|
|Social work as emotional labour||DSW||Clare Stapleton|
|Contributors to the quality of life of elderly public hospital in-patients awaiting placement in residential aged care facilities.||DSW||Michael Devery|
|Parent-carers' perspectives on their relationships with diverse service systems and on their identity within or outside those systems.||PhD||Pam Joseph|
- Fawcett, B & Pockett, R. (2015). Turning Ideas into Research:Theory, Design and Practice. UK: SAGE:UK.
- O'Hara, A and Pockett, R. (2011). Skills for Human Service Practice:Working with individuals, groups and communities. . (2nd ed.), South Melbourne: Oxford University Press.
- Pockett, R, Giles, R. (2008). Critical Reflection: Generating theory from practice. The graduating social work student experience. Sydney: Darlington Press.
- Dunston, R., Forman, D., Matthews, L., Nicol, P., Pockett, R., Rogers, G., Steketee, C, & Thistlethwaite, J. . (2015). Utilizing curriculum renewal as a way of leading cultural change in Australian Health Professional Education. In Forman, D., Jones, M & Thistlethwaite, J. (Ed.), Leadership and Collaboration. Further developments for interprofessional education (pp. 121–134), UK: Palgrave macmillan.
- Pockett, R and Beddoe, E. (2014). Social Work in Health Care: An International Perspective . In A. Lalos, B. Blom, S. Moren, M. Olsson (Ed.), Social Work in Health Care (pp. 216–234), Stockholm, Sweden: Natur & Kultur.
- Giles, R & Pockett, R . (2012). Critical Reflection and Social Work Education . In Jan Fook and Fiona Gardner (Eds.), Critical Reflection in Context Oxon, UK: Taylor and Francis.
- Pockett, Rosalie . (2009). Data-mining 'victim of crime' presentations in hospital emergency departments: a research tool with wider significance . In Bywaters, P., McLeod, E., Napier, L. (Ed.), Social Work and Global Health Inequalities:practice and policy developments (pp. 217–223), Bristol, UK: The Policy Press.
- Pockett, R. (2008). Human service professionals, violence and the workplace. In Barbara Fawcett and Fran Waugh (Eds.), Addressing Violence, Abuse and Oppression: Debates and Challenges (Vol. 1, pp. 174–186), New York London: Routledge.
- Pockett, R. & Beddoe, E. (in press). Social work in health care: An international perspective. International Social Work. DOI:10.1177/0020872814562479
- Pockett, R., Hobbs, K., Dzidowska, M., Peate, M. . (2012). Describing oncology social work practice in Australia: what is the current 'state of play'? . Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology/Psycho-Oncolgy , 129(absr(8 (supp3).
- Matthews,L., Pockett, R., Nisbet, G., Thistlethwaite, J.,Dunston, R., Lee, A., White, J. . (2011). Building capacity in Australian interprofessional health education: perspectives from key health and higher education stakeholders. Australian Health Review, 35(2), 136–140. DOI:10.1071/AH10886 0156-5788/11/020
- Pockett, R., Walker, E., Dave, K. . (2010). 'Last Orders': Dying in a Hospital Setting . Australian Social Work , 63(3), 250–265. DOI:10.1080/0312407X.2010.497928
- Pockett, Rosalie. (2010). Interprofessional Education for Practice: Some Implications for Australian Social Work . Australian Social Work , 63(2), 207–222. DOI:10.1080/03124070903060059
- Thistlethwaite, J., Lee, A., Dunston, R., Nisbet, G., Matthews, L., Pockett, R. (2009). Interprofessional developments in Australia- L-TIPP (Aus) and the Way Forward. Journal of Interprofessional Care , 23(4), 315–317. DOI:10.1080/13561820903028251
- Pockett, R. (2006). Learning from Each Other: The Social Work Role as an Integrated Part of the Hospital Disaster Response. Social Work in Health Care, 43(2-3), 131–149.
- Pockett, R. (2012). Conceptualising the 'social' in health and health inequalities: initiatives in Australian social work education . In Joint World Conference on Social Work and Social Development: Action and Impact. 8-12 July, 2012 Stockholm, Sweden. . Stockholm Sweden, 8-12 July, 2012.
- Pockett, R., Hobbs, K., Dzidowska, M., Peate, M. . (2012). Describing oncology social work and practice in Australia: what is the current 'state of play'? . In Joint Meeting of COSA 39th Annual Scientific Meeting and IPOS 14th World Congress of Psycho-Oncology. Brisbane, Qld Australia, 13-15 November, 2012.
- Pockett, R. (2011). The inclusion of health inequalities in the social work curriculum: an Australian perspective. . In Translating global perspectives on health inequalities research into social work education - a Pacific Rim perspective. University of Sydney; University of Warwick; Seoul National University and University of Auckland. . University of Sydney and On-Line Symposium, 9th November, 2011.
- Pockett, R. (2010). Teaching teamwork in social work education. In Tenth Doris Siegel Memorial Colloquium 'Promoting and sustaining excellence in clinical social work practice'. Mt Sinai Medical Center New York NY USA, 23-24 June, 2010.
- Pockett, R. (2010). Putting back the 'social'. Addressing health inequalities as part of hospital social work practice: A collaborative model between practitioners and academics.. In Changing Health. 6th International Conference on Social Work in Health and Mental Health. University College Dublin, Ireland, 28 June - 2 July, 2010. .
- Pockett, R. (2006). Victims of crime presentations in an emergency department: an unexpected profile. In 5th International Conference on Social Work in Health and Mental Health. Hong Kong, 10 – 14 December 2006.
- Interprofessional Curriculum Renewal Consortium, Australia. (Pockett, R. Project Partner - University of Sydney). (2013). Interprofessional Education: a National Audit. Report to Health Workforce Australia , Sydney, Australia.
- Dunston, Roger; Lee, Adrian; Lee, Alison; Matthews, Lynda; Nisbet, Gillian; Pockett, Rosalie; Thistlethwaite Jill; White, Jill. . (2009). Interprofessional Health Education in Australia: The Way Forward. A document prepared by Learning and Teaching for Interprofessional Practice, Australia, L-TIPP (Aus), a project co-managed by The University of Sydney and the University of Technology, Sy, .
- Pockett, R & Postle, K. (2009). International Social Work Journal Special Issue: Health Editorial and Guest Editor 52(4) July 2009, International Social Work An official journal of the International Association of Schools of Social Work; International Council on Social Welfare; International Federation of Social Workers Sage: London .