Associate Professor Louise Rowling
Honorary Associate Professor in Health Promotion
Phone: +61 2 8095 8315
Health and sport
- Health promotion
Associate Professor Louise Rowling has established over a 30 year period a National and International reputation for work on health promoting schools and mental health promotion. She was the President of Australian Health Promoting Schools Association for 5 years and Director of the National Health Promoting Schools Initiative. Louise has been a consultant to the World Health Organisation on a number of occasions, working in Asia and the South Pacific and has contributed to the development of materials for the WHO Global School Health Initiative. Louise was one of the Chief Investigators in the development of MindMatters. She chaired the MindMatters evaluation committee for 5 years. She was the Inaugural President of Intercamhs, the International Alliance of Child and Adolescent Mental Health and Schools.
Honorary Life Member of Australian Health Promoting Schools Association 1999
Dr Harry Jenkins Fellow Award for services to Lions Clubs International and Drug Education 2004.
- Adolescent Health Literacy in Schools with Peralta L, Samdal O, Roderick P, Grace M, Larsen T; DVC International/IPDF Grant.
- Samdal, O. & Rowling, L. (2013). The implementation of health promoting schools. Exploring the theories of what, why and how. London: Routledge.
- Rowling, L., Martin, G. & Walker, L. (Eds.). (2008). Mental Health Promotion and Young People: Concepts and Practice. Korean Translation. Seoul, Korea: McGraw Hill.
- Rowling, L .& Hazel, T . (2014). MindMatters. Implementing Mental Health Promotion in Australia. . In C.Cooper & F.A. Huppert (Ed.), Wellbeing: A Complete Reference Guide. Interventions and Policies to Enhance Wellbeing. (1st ed., Vol. VI, pp. 185–219), Oxford, England: Wiley Blackwell.
- Rowling, L . (2010). Perspectives on school health promotion in the whole school approach. . In Paulus, P (Ed.), Bildungsforderung durch Gesundheit: Bestandsaufnahme und Perspektiven fur eine gute and gesunde Schule: Education through the promotion of health (1st ed., pp. 289–307), Budigen, Germany: Juventa Verla Weinheim and Munchen.
- Rowling. L. (2010). Schools and Grief: Attending to People and Place. In , Brief Interventions with Bereaved Children. (2nd ed.,), London: Oxford University Press.
- Rowling, L. (2006). MindMatters: Un Programma Australiano per la Promozione e la Prevenzione della Salute Mentale. In E Toniolo;A Grossi (Ed.), Oltre lo stigma. Straegie di prevenzione in psichiatria (pp. 135–148), Torino, Italy: Centroa Scientifico Editore.
- Rowling, L. (2006). Adolescents and Emerging Adulthood (12-17 years and 18-24 years). In Cattan, M.& Tilford, S. (Ed.), Mental Health Promotion. A lifespan approach (Vol. 1, pp. 100–136), Maidenhead, UK: Open University Press.
- Rowling, L. & Samdal, O. (2011). Filling the black box of implementation for health-promoting schools . Health Education, 111(5), 347–362. DOI:10.1108/09654281111161202
- Samdal, O. Rowling,L. (2011). Theoretical and empirical base for implementation of health promoting schools.. Health Education, III(5), 367–390. DOI:10.1108/0965428111116121
- Keshavarz, N. Nutbeam, D. Rowling, L. Khavarpour, F. (2010). Acknowledging educational perspectives on health promoting schools.. Health Education, 110(4), 240–251.
- Keshavarz, N. Nutbeam, D. Rowling, L. Khavarpour, F. (2010). Schools as social complex adaptive systems: A new way to understand the challenges of introducing the health promoting schools concept . Social Science & Medicine, 70(10), 1467–1474. DOI:doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2010.01.
- Rowling, L. (2009). Strengthening ‘School’ in School Mental Health Promotion. Health Education, 109(4), 357–368.
- Rowling, L. (2008). Linking Spirituality, School Communities, Grief and Well-being.. International Journal of Children's Spirituality, 13(3), 241–251.
- Rowling, L. (2008). Commentary: Prevention science and implementation of school mental health promotion & prevention and wellbeing: another way.. Advances in School Mental Health Promotion, 1(3), 29–37.
- Scanlon, L, Rowling, L, Weber, Z. (2007). 'You don't have like an identity... you are just lost in a crowd': Forming a Student Identity in the First-year Transition to University. Journal of Youth Studies, 10(2), 223–241.
- Weber, Z, Rowling, L, Scanlon, L. (2007). "It's like...a confronting issue": Life changing narratives of young people. Qualitative Health Research, 17(7), 945–953.
- Koo, F, Rowling, L. (2007). The understanding of physical activity among older Hong Kong Chinese Australians. Journal of Tianjin University of Sport, 22(3), 200–206.
- Rowling, L. (2007). School mental health promotion: MindMatters an example of mental health reform.. Health Promotion Journal of Australia, 18(3), 229–236.
- Anderson, S, Kerr-Roubicek, H, Rowling, L. (2006). Staff Voices: What helps students with high support needs connect to school?. Australian Journal of Guidance and Counselling, 16(1), 1–13.
- Rowling, L, Jeffries, V. (2006). Capturing complexity: integrating health and education research to inform health promoting schools policy and practice. Health Education Research, 21(5), 705–718.
- Rowling, L, Kasunic, V. (2006). Prevention of depression in young people: An Australian Perspective. Clinical Neuropsychiatry, 3(1), 29–38.
- Rowling, L. (2005). Dissonance and debates encircling 'health promoting schools'. Health Promotion Journal of Australia, 16(1), 55–57.
- Rowling, L, Mason, J. (2005). A case study of multimethod evaluation of complex school mental health promotion and prevention: The MindMatters Evaluation Suite. Australian Journal of Guidance and Counselling, 15(2), 125–136.
- Rowling, L, Weber, Z, Scanlon, L. (2005). Transitions and Loss: Illuminating Parameters of Young Adults' Mental Health. Australian Journal of Guidance and Counselling, 15(2), 168–181.
- Koo, F, Rowling, L. (2006). Perceptions of physical activity among older Chinese Australians. In Diversity in Ageing: Papers submitted for Peer Review and presented to the 39th Annual Conference of the Australian Association of Gerontology, Sydney 2006 (pp. 91–102). Sydney, 2006.
- Keshavarz Mohammad, N, Nutbeam, D, Khavarpour, A, Rowling, L. (2006). Empowering school community for health promotion in schools: Let's hear their voice. In Empowering school community for health promotion in schools: Let's hear their voice . Sydney, Australia, 25-27/09/06.
- Rowling L. (2009). Rebuilding bushfire communities., On Line Opinion. Society. 23/02/09.