BA(Hons)(UOW), MA(journalism)(UOW), GradDip(TESOL)(UTS)
Senior Research Associate
Phone: +61 2 9351 2616
Fax: +61 2 9351 8946
Educational systems: administration, management and leadership
- Higher education
Social structures, inequalities and social justice
- Social change
- Sociology of knowledge
Research policy, globalisation, higher education, multiculturalism
I have worked in Higher Education in research development and policy roles for approximately 15 years. Currently, I am researching global knowledge production for an ARC funded project led by Professor Raewyn Connell and Dr Fran Collyer. That project, entitled Global Arenas of Knowledge, aims to understand the processes and practices that reinforce the organisation and accumulation of knowledge in the Global North. The experiences of researchers in countries on the 'periphery' - Brazil, South Africa and Australia - will be documented through life histories to explain how research careers are partly determined by certain knowledge regimes.
I have a long standing interest in research as academic work and the role of Universities as public institutions.
My PhD (under examination, October 2014) is a study of the political economy of Australian multiculturalism and migration programming.
The International Award for Excellence for the Top Ranked article, 2012 - The Diversity Collection.
See - http://ijd.cgpublisher.com/
- Sukamdi, Haris, A. & Brownlee, P. [eds]. (2003). Labour Migration in Indonesia: Policies and Practices. Indonesia: UNESCO & Population Studies Center Gadjah Mada University.
- Brownlee, P. and Freebody, P. (2015). Who are the Heretics?. In Proctor, H., Brownlee, P. and freebody, P. (Eds.), Controversies in Education: Policy Implications of Research in Education, Volume 3 (pp. 207–216), New York: Springer International.
- Proctor, H., Freebody, P. and Brownlee, P. (2015). Introduction: Heresy and Orthodoxy in Contemporary Schooling: Australian Educational Policy and Global Neoliberal Reform. In Proctor, H., Brownlee, P. and Freebody, P. (Eds.), Controversies in Education Policy Implications of Research in Education Volume 3 (pp. 1–12), New York: Springer International.
- Brownlee, P. & Irwin, J. (2011). Research frontiers and border-crossings: methodology and the knowledge industry. In Markauskaite, Lina; Freebody, Peter; Irwin, Jude (Eds.) (Ed.), Methodological Choices and Research Designs for Educational and Social Change: Linking Scholarship, Policy and Practice New York: Springer.
- Brownlee, P. (2013). The Emergence of Australia’s Business Migration Program and Entrepreneurial Diversity Policy. The International Journal of Organizational Diversity, 12.
- Hirano, K., S. Castles, and P. Brownlee. [eds] . (2000). Towards a sociology of Asian migration and settlement: focus on Japan.. Asia Pacific Migration Journal, 9(3), 243–254.
- Brownlee, P. (2010). 'Politics is a Messyanic Business', Australian Review of Public Affairs, Februrary 2010, Review essay on Paul Kelly's 'The March of the Patriots'.
- Brownlee, P. (2010). Education in Academia: Change in the Tertiary Education Sector impacting the ACDE Report into Renewal of Australia’s Ageing Academic Workforce. Occasional Paper - Faculty of Education and Social Work, University of Sydney, .