Dr Kelly Freebody
BArts(drama)(QUT), BEd(secondary)Hons(QUT), PhD(Melbourne), GradCert(Educational studies)(Sydney)
Lecturer, Drama, English, Teaching and Learning
Combined Degrees Coordinator
Program Director (BEd, Secondary Combined)
Phone: +61 2 9036 6038
Fax: +61 2 9351 2606
Research on teaching and learning
- Creative and performing arts
- English and literacy
Social structures, inequalities and social justice
- Social change
Social justice, drama, literacy, ethnomethodology, socio-economic status
Kelly's teaching and research interests include drama, secondary English, literacy, social justice and qualitative research methods, particularly conversation analysis and membership categorisation analysis.
Kelly's PhD investigates the use of drama pedagogyto explore students' interpretations of, and interaction with, notions of socioeconomic status.
Faculty of Education and Social Work Teaching Excellence Award 2008
Professional and community roles
Director of Research, Drama Australia
- Teachers researching communitites - a Priority Schools Programs funded research project exploring school-community relationships.
Current research students
|Project title||Degree||Research student|
|Neophyte drama teachers and the socially inclusive classroom||PhD||Alison O'Grady|
|Sharing the Moment: An Investigation of the Local-Global Nexus and Emergent Narrative Structures in Long Form Additive Improvisation||PhD||Yanis Garrett|
|Exploration of the aesthetic experience created during drama process in higher education language learning.||EdD||Patrick Pheasant|
|TBA||MEd (Research)||Erin Mulvey|
- Bird, J., Donelan, K., Freebody, K., O'Toole, J. & Sinclair, C. . (2012). Drama: Social dreaming in the 21st Century . In C. Sinclair, N. Jeanneret, J. O'Toole (Ed.), Education in the Arts: Teaching and learning in contemporary curriculum (2nd ed., pp. 65–90), Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Freebody, K., Freebody, P. & Maney, B. . (2011). Relating schools and communities. In D. Bottreel & S. Goodwin (Ed.), Schools, Communities and Social Inclusion (pp. 66–79), London: Palgrave.
- Freebody, K. & Hughes, J. (2010). Using drama to teach difficult texts. In J. Manuel & S. Brindley (Ed.), Teenagers and Reading AATE.
- Stinson, M. & Freebody, K. . (2009). The contribution of process drama to improved results in English oral communication. In R. Silver, C.C.M. Goh & L. Alsagoff (Ed.), Acquisition and Development in New English Contexts: Evidence from Sinagore (pp. 147–165), London: Continuum.
- Freebody, K. (2009). Learning how to be an academic – the story of a new academic in education. In R. Cantewll & J. Scevak (Ed.), An Academic Life: A handbook for new academics (pp. 10–15), Melbourne: ACER Press.
- Freebody, K. & Freebody, P. (2008). Engaging and critiquing challeng in the process drama classroom: Socio-economic status as topic and resource. In K. Cooper & R. E. White (Ed.), Critical Literacies in Action: Social perspectives and teaching practice Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Freebody, K. (in press). Interdisciplinary dialogues with dialouge: Drama, sociology and the detailed analysis of talk. . NJ, 35.
- Freebody, K. (2010). Exploring teacher-student interactions and moral reasoning practices in drama classrooms. Research in Drama Education: The Journal of Applied Theatre and Performance, 15(2), 209–225.
- Freebody, K. (2007). Transforming pedagogy: Introducing online content in schools. The Australian Educational Leader, 29(1), 24–27.
- Freebody, P., Freebody, K., McCrae, D & Muspratt, S. (2006). New curricular ways with new technologies: The Le@rning Federations' learning objects arrive in classrooms. The Professional Educator, 5, 14–17.
- Freebody, K., McRae, D. & Freebody, K. (2006). The Le@rning Federation's on-line initiative: Lessons from teachers on change, technologies, and learning about English and literacy. English in Australia, 41, 48–57.
- Stinson, M & Freebody, K. . (2006). The Drama and Oral Language Project: An investigation into the contribution of process drama to improved results in English oral communication. Youth Theatre Journal, 20, 27–41.
- Freebody, P., Hornibrook, M. & Freebody, K. . (2005). Language, learning to read and life pathways. Reading Research Quarterly Online.
- Stinson, M. & Freebody, K. (2006). Modulating the Mosaic: Drama and oral language. In L. McCammon & D. McLauchlan Universal Mosaic of Drama and Theatre: The IDEA04 Dialogues (pp. 193–201).
- Freebody, P., Freebody, K. & Maney, B. . (2011). Teachers researching communities: Final report, Priority Schools Programs, Department of Education and Training NSW.
- Freebody, P. & Freebody, K. . (2008). Teachers researching communities: Literature Review, Priority Schools Programs, Department of Education and Training NSW.
- Hedberg, J. & Freebody, K. (2007). Towards a disruptive pedagogy: Exploring classroom practices with interactive whiteboards and TLF digital content, The Le@arning Federation and Australian National Schools Network.
- Freebody, K. (2005). Arts Mentoring Report, Queensland Primary Arts Network, Education Queensland.
- Stinson, M. & Freebody, K. (2004). Drama and Oral Language: Technical Report, Centre for Research in Pedagogy and Practice, National Institute of Education, Singapore.