Associate Professor Lesley Harbon
BA(Sydney), DipEd(Sydney), MEd(UNE), PhD(UTAS)
Associate Dean, International
Curriculum Coordinator, Languages, BEd(Secondary) combined degrees
Phone: +61 2 9351 2022
Fax: +61 2 9351 2606
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Languages and cultures education
- Second language acquisition
intercultural languages education, language teacher professional development, immersion languages education
During her university undergraduate career, Lesley added German as a foreign language to her repertoire and then began a teaching career that took her across Australia, teaching Indonesian and German at primary, secondary and tertiary levels.
Her work with language-teacher education developed through positions she has held since the mid 90s in teacher-education faculties at the universities of Tasmania and Sydney.
For 15 years, until early 1990s, Lesley edited Pelangi, a publication for the teaching and learning of Indonesian in Australian schools published at the University of Southern Queensland Press.
From 2002 until 2006 Lesley edited Babel, the journal of the Australian Federation of Modern Language Teachers Assocations. She continues to research in the areas of language-teacher education, intercultural-languages education, bilingual-immersion education and study-abroad short-term programs for language teachers.
Faculty of Education and Social Work Teaching Excellence Award 2008
Professional and community roles
Language education and language-teacher education advisory committees and project teams at state and national level
Community Outreach Advisor, Executive Committee of the Sydney Southeast Asia Centre
- The efficacy of study abroad on the development of social and cultural capital in students (with AC Armstrong)
- Student intercultural-language learning (with R Moloney)
- Australian language teachers' immersion in-country professional development experiences: extent, scope, nature, outcomes and purposes.
- Bilingual language education in four NSW primary schools (with R. Fielding)
- Teacher professional development in Southeast Asia (with K. Laws
Current research students
|Project title||Degree||Research student|
|Intercultural dialogue with Indonesian state sector language teacher educators on the epistemology of their practice.||PhD||Neil England|
|Accommodating English, Islam, and secular values: An exploration of pre-service English teacher education curriculum in Islamic and secular public universities in Indonesia.||PhD||Abdul Hadi|
|EFL Teachers' Adoption of ICT Innovation in Faculties of Education at Two Universities in the Mekong Delta, Viet Nam||EdD||Mai Xuan Le|
|EFL Reading in Three Indonesian Universities: Perspectives of Key Stakeholders in Diverse Cultural Contexts||PhD||Harits Masduqi|
|Integrating communication strategies to EFL teachers' education.||PhD||Novi Prihananto|
- Harbon, L. & Moloney, R. (2013). Language teachers' narratives of practice . UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Laws, K., Harbon, L. & Fielding, R. (Eds.). (2011). Teacher professional development in Southeast Asia: perspectives from Indonesia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam. . Sydney: K. Laws, L. Harbon and R. Fielding.
- Paltridge, B., Harbon, L., Hirsh, D., Shen, H., Stevenson, M., Phakiti, A., & Woodrow, L. (2009). Teaching Academic Writing: An Introduction for Teachers of Second Language Writers. Michigan: University of Michigan Press.
- Harbon, L. (2009). Languages in the Primary School: Teachers' Perceptions of Policy and Practice. Berlin: Verlag Dr Mueller.
- Harbon, L. & Moloney, R. (2013). Introduction: language teachers and their narratives. In L. Harbon & R. Moloney (Ed.), Language teachers' narratives of practice (pp. 1–15), UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Harbon, L.A. . (2012). Developing intercultural literacy through the teaching of English. In G. Subramaniam & S. Pillai (Ed.), Developing literacies through alternative assessments (pp. 15–31), Selangor, Malaysia: August Publishing Sdn Bhd.
- Harbon, L., Fielding, R., Moloney, R., Kohler, M., Dashwood, A., Gearon, M., & Scrimgeour, A. (2012). Longtime passing: Language teacher educators’ concerns in language teacher education. In J. Hajek, C. Nettelbeck & A. Woods (Ed.), The next step: Introducing the Languages and Cultures Network for Australian Universities (pp. 75–91), Melbourne: Languages and Cultures Network for Australian Universities.
- Harbon, L. . (2011). New learning for teachers and teacher educators in Southeast Asia.. In K. Laws, L. Harbon & R. Fielding (Ed.), Teacher professional development in Southeast Asia: perspectives from Indonesia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam. (pp. 25–35), Sydney: K. Laws, L. Harbon & R. Fielding.
- Harbon, L. & Shen, H. . (2010). Researching language classrooms. . In B. Paltridge & A. Phakiti, (Ed.), Continuum Companion to Research Methods in Applied Linguistics. (pp. 274–285), London: Continuum.
- Paltridge, B & Harbon, L. (2008). Intercultural competency and the international student experience. In J. van Rij-Heyligers (Ed.), Intercultural Communications Across University Settings – Myths and Realities (pp. 55–65), Rosedale, NZ: Pearson Education New Zealand.
- Harbon, L. (2007). On the need to mediate culture: do college English textbooks pass the test?. In D.L. Qiu and J. Cai (Eds.), The Explorations and Prospectives for College English Textbooks (pp. 110–131), Shanghai: Fudan University Press.
- Harbon, L. (2003). Internationalising the curriculum through languages: teachers’ 'in-country' professional development. In A.J. Liddicoat, S. Eisenchlas & S. Trevaskes (Ed.), Australian Perspectives on Internationalising Education (pp. 117–128), Melbourne: Language Australia.
- Harbon, L. (2002). Languages curriculum policy: teachers’ perceptions of policy Implementation. In V. Crew, C. Davison & B. Mak (Ed.), Reflecting on Language in Education (pp. 195–225), Hong Kong: The Hong Kong Institute of Education, Centre for Language in Education.
- Harbon, L. (2013). Second language teachers and intercultural literacy. International Journal of Innovation in English Language Teaching and Research, 2(1), 77–87.
- Morgan, A.M., Kohler, M. & Harbon, L. . (2011). Developing intercultural language learning textbooks: Methodological trends, engaging with the intercultural construct, and personal reflections on the process. International Association for Research on Textbooks and Educational Materials (IARTEM) E-Journal, 4(1), 20–51.
- Olmedo, I. & Harbon, L. . (2010). Broadening our sights: internationalizing teacher education for a global arena.. Teaching Education, 21(1), 75–88.
- French, S. & Harbon, L. (2010). Language teachers' 'knowledge about language' as a result of a short-term in-country experience.. The New Zealand Language Teacher, 36, 22–32.
- Yuwono, G. I. & Harbon, L. (2010). English teacher professionalism and professional development: some common issues in Indonesia.. Asian EFL Journal, 12(3), 145–163.
- Wiltshire, J. & Harbon, L. . (2010). French and English together: An 'additive' experience. Babel, 44(3), 14–25.
- Moloney, R. & Harbon, L. . (2010). Student performance of intercultural language learning. Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, 7(2), 177–192.
- Harbon, L. . (2009). Professional standards into the future.. Babel: Journal of the Australian Federation of Modern Language Teachers Associations., 44(1), 21–23.
- Moloney, R, Harbon, L. (2008). I speak therefore I am: Self-perceptions of identity in immersion program language learners as an expression of intercultural competence. University of Sydney Papers in TESOL, 3, 111–129.
- Harbon, L. (2008). Chinese students in a ‘sea’ of change: one teacher’s discoveries about Chinese students’ learning and emotions through use of song. Evaluation and Research in Education, 21(3), 214–234.
- Harbon, L. (2007). Short-term international experiences and teacher language awareness. International Education Journal, 8(1), 229–243.
- Harbon, L, Browett, J. (2006). Intercultural languages education: challenges for Australian Teacher Educators. Babel, 41(1), 28–38.
- Harbon, L, McGill, M. (2006). Teaching reconceived: Australian teachers re-thinking personal pedagogy within an overseas study program. Internet Journal of Language, Culture and Society , 18, 1–12.
- Kohler, M, Harbon, L, Fischmann, V, McLaughlin, M, Liddicoat, A. (2006). Quality teaching: views from the profession. Babel, 40(3), 23–30.
- Moloney, R. & Harbon, L. . (2010). Making intercultural language learning visible and assessable. . In Dupuy, B. & Waugh, L.R. Proceedings of the Intercultural Competence Conference, CERCLL 2010 Second Annual Conference on the Development and Assessment of Intercultural Competence. (pp. 281–303). Tucson, Arizona, USA, 29-31 Jan.
- Harbon, L. (2010). Examining assumptions about learning and teaching languages: Australian pre-service teachers reflecting on their short term overseas teaching experiences.. In Dr Izumi Walker Proceedings of the Fourth CLS International Conference CLaSIC 2010 Individual Characteristics and Subjective Variables in Language Learning. (1pp. 357–369). Singapore, 2-4 December 2010.
- Harbon, L. (2006). Innovating with English Cafe in a Korean College English context. In Dr Byung-kyoo Ahn Beyond the Horizon: Extending the Paradigm of TEFL (pp. 67–72). Seoul, Korea, 23-24 June 2006.
- Harbon, L. (2006). Innovating with English Cafe in a Korean College English Programs. In Dr Byung-kyoo Ahn Beyond the Horizon: Extending the Paradigm of TEFL (pp. 67–72). Seoul, Korea, 23-24 June 2006.
- Harbon, L. & Shen, H. (2006). Australian teachers of languages and cultures: emerging pedagogies in the language classroom using ICT. In Proceedings of the Educational Research Association of Singapore Annual Conference "Diversity for excellence: engaged pedagogies". (pp. 1–14). Orchard Hotel, Singapore, 29-31 May 2006.